I mean hey, what's the deal with these G5's

flotone

Member
What's happening?

I'm going to rest my G4 next week and purchase a new G5 for my filming. My question is should I go for a dual 2ghz or the dual 2.5ghz I mean hey, is the .5 a big difference? Please someone explain all of this to me?


Thanks
Tony
 
I really think the Dual 1.8 is scaled down. No PCI-X, maximum of 4GB RAM (It's expensive now, but for future 64-bit computing will be a very real demand), is too few to ask for a 2K computer. The Dual 2.5 is not only a sligh speed bump. Its a SIGNIFICANT processor increase and FSB increase (From 2GB to 2.5, and from 1GB to 1.25), and a much better video card (terribly important to working out with motion). Man, those Dual 2.5's are blazing fast!

I'd be thorn between the dual 2GB and Dual 2.5's, but since I believe this macs are built to last, meaning I can spen 2-3 years happily without a computer upgrade, I like to always buy the top of the line and most expansive system, so I can guarantee myself to work confortably for a long time with minimal upgrading and to keep the resale value of the computer (yeah, macs are resellable). It's of course a question of bang in the pockets, but If I could I'd strech for the best.

So that's my 2c.
 
Wait until after NAB to make a decission. And I can tell you from many, many years of professional experience, get the fastest you can afford. Slower machines are never supported as long as faster ones, no matter how close they are. And newer software updates out grow slower machines faster. It's not a matter of bang for you buck on paper today, it's bang for your buck over the expected life span of the equipment.

But, wait until after NAB. The software upgrades alone (as per rumors) will make an impact on your decision.

If you can afforde the 2.5, get it. The longevity will be worth more than the "immediate" money saved with a 1.8.

Not to mention that upgrades for Macs (and lots of PCs) bring the price of the total investment to come extreamly close, it not match (and in some cases exceed) the initial price of the faster machine.

I took my G4/400 and upgraded it to the fastest processor we could find. Last minute, we decided against it as the total in that card, additional RAM, upgraded video card, all to handle FCP3 made it more expensive than the 500+ Mhz machines I could have gotten new when I got the 450 new.

So we just bought a G5/2.0 (before the 2.5 was out).

Wait till after NAB.
 
Waiting another month until NAB is good advice. Not only will there be new stuff out - you potentially could get the 2.5 for considerably less if the release a new chip at the show (something like 3 or higher). Either way it would benifit you IF you can wait - if you can't due to projects then get the best that you can afford - cuz in the end you get what you pay for.

Question for you G5 owners out there - is the 2.5 really that much better? I've heard that it is the same chip as the 2.0, but that is has just been over clocked and that's why it has all of that additional cooling on it. Is this true?
 
Yes, wait till NAB. Rumors are out that a new generation of PowerMacs and possibly the new XStation will be announced along with FCP5.

As for 2.5Ghz, I have heard that they are in fact overclocked CPUs, but their rating are not 2.0 GHz, but are in between 2 and 2.5. The water cooling is absolutely necessary if they wanted to keep the same approximate decibel level.
 
I have a Dual 1.8 with 2.25 Gigs of RAM

Its silent as hell, but when it needs to work...the fans kick in.

I couldn't justify spending the extra on dual 2.0 and dual 2.5 was out of the question.
 
Like I said, for the price *I* personally believe the dual 1.8 is the current sweet spot. Who really needs 8 gigs of ram, and a 1.25GHZ bus in the 2.0 and 2.5 versions? Isn't 4 gigs and 900Mhz enough for most people? A completely decked out dual 2.5 will cost around 8G's. And that's WITHOUT a display. Add a high-end display and your up to 11G's with TAX!! Wow that's expensive. Unless you have to have one now just wait until after NAB to see what Apple's got going on. We may see a new PowerMac upwards of 3GHZ and / or we may see a new multicore PowerPC processor altogether? Either way, it won't hurt to wait a few weeks and try to save some money!! ~reservoir~
 
You are right reservoir, but two years from now, with 64-bit computing going around and much cheaper RAM (BTW, we don't have to buy them from Apple!), some will need more memory. And 8GB could really make the G5 fly. The FSB of the Dual 2 GB is 1GB, not 1,25.

But I agree on waiting till NAB, it certainly makes sense...
 
But I think that raises another problem taubkin. I know Macs are great and having the dual 2.5 would be splendid. They will also be useful for a very very long time. But in two years when 8gs of ram is very affordable, I would imagine there will probably be G6's out with multicore processors well above the 3Ghz range (probably 4Ghz) with data buses of 3GHz and addressable memory up to 16GB's. People should just always keep in mind that in the computer world....."If you buy it today, it was outdated a week ago". I do believe despite this, that Macs hold their value longer than most PC's and don't need the constant upgrades every year to support the new Operating System which makes them ideal for the long term buyer. Let's just wait and see if Apple gives us any new toys at NAB. If you can't wait, just go with your gut....get exactly what you *need* and not necessarily exactly what you want. Say a 2,999 dual 2.5 G5 versus a decked out 10grand 2.5 dual G5. Get the more practical model that does the same thing....maybe just a little slower and save your other 7 grand for your new camera and equipment.

Also....If I had the 2,999 to buy the dual 2.5 G5....I would do it in a heartbeat and then just upgrade the RAM and HD's over time. These machines are emaculate out of the box unlike most barebones windows machines that require memory, video card, etc. updates before they really become useful. ~reservoir~
 
It remains to be proven what is the best value. For one side, you could spend a lot on one system and push it over it's limit lifespan, or you could buy a cheaper system and trade it somewhat sooner. For me, that live outside the US and have a lot of burden to actually get one (sych as transportation and custom taxes), it makes more sense to buy a beefed up system and keep it for longer. But, I guess I see your point as well.

In fact, if the buyer has it in his head that he will probably upgrade again in 2006/2007, it could make more sense in spending that extra 1000 on other acessories that could outlive the computer, such as an Apple display. Afterall, a 20-inch widescreen apple display could make the computer more confortable to use than the extra speed...
 
True. I didn't realize you were in Brasil / Brazil. I guess it would make more sense to buy a beefier machine and use it till the wheels fall off if you live outside the US and getting it there in the first place would be a small challenge. But I guess it's a different story if you live near a Mac store or could get easy access to one over the internet. Both opinions look pretty good to me. ~reservoir~

I'd still wait just a *little* longer if possible to see what ol' Steve may slide in at NAB or shortly thereafter.
 
Do you think Apple has a hardware launch at NAB?

I'd say there'll be new softrare, maybe even the new FCP, but I expect the next PowerMac speedbump to come unnanouced, as usual, and closer to summer.
 
I have *heard* rumors about a possible hardware upgrade. I would definately NOT rule it out. Hang out for a few minutes on http://www.Macrumors.com and you'll catch some good info alot of times. Much of it turns out to be fact in the end. ~reservoir~
 
reservoir said:
I have *heard* rumors about a possible hardware upgrade. I would definately NOT rule it out. Hang out for a few minutes on http://www.Macrumors.com and you'll catch some good info alot of times. Much of it turns out to be fact in the end. ~reservoir~

Who knows if that will ever continue with them getting sued by Apple for leaks ;)
 
If not macrumors...then elsewhere. Leaks are inevitable. Just ask Panasonic. Unless their so-called *leak* was just a marketing ploy. Quite plausible to think this. ~reservoir~
 
Uh huh....just as we suspected. Come'on Apple. Let us in on the secret. Here's the latest:

ThinkSecret reported that it expects new versions of Apple's Shake, Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro at the National Association of Broadcasters Conference which takes place between April 16-21 in Las Vegas, NV.

Also possible are references to a new pro video and new pro audio application to be introduced.

Meanwhile, an unconfirmed MacRumors tipster points to possible PowerMac updates to come at NAB from Apple. PowerMacs were last updated in June 2004.

They way I hear it...the new PowerMac are gonna be multicore processors *essentially* giving you a Quad PowerMac. Still waiting for next juicy bit of info to drop. ~reservoir~
 
Back
Top