Hvx200 a dead camcorder?

In today's market of 4K 2k and even 1080p, is there still a place for the hvx200? I ask cause I have an hvx200 and don't know what to do with it. I can't seem to sell it, and I am unaware of any hacks that might make this camcorder a relevant camera in today's market. I mostly do corporate videos and testimonials, but minimum delivery of 1080p is expected and hvx only shoots up to 1080i but best used in 720p which no one wants anymore.

every camera has a place. keep in mind that by that I mean aesthetically. It won't be relevant to most clients, but you can still find use for it. Good cameras are getting so cheap, that its silly to sell that camera, just get another one that is more relevant because good newer cameras are well within the range of affordability. You can always up-rez the 720P as we used to do back in the day, but always better to down-rez as I am sure you know. keep it, but move on IMHO.

I agree with Allen.. every camera does in fact have a place. I owned an HVX200 in 2007-2008.. it's a great camera and honestly I believe its absolutely relevant depending on how you are using it and what you want to do with it. You are silly to get rid of it.. don't jump on the 4k bandwagon just yet.. resolution is not going to save you in this industry.. I own and work with the Varicam 27, it's a tad older than the HVX200, yes its a much better camera IMHO than the HVX but I am doing just fine with it. Don't get sucked into the marketing BS of todays modern technology, work with what you have.

Hey buddy,
it has been awhile but the HVX200 is still a viable capture system. And just to be correct it does shoot 1080P. Numerous threads by Barry Green have explained this waaaaaay better than I ever could. And you do see a difference when switching between 720P and 1080P. So if all you need is 1080P then go for it and keep on using it. Best part about keeping the HVX200 is a lot of the accessories as in, P2 cards and such are really cheap now. And don't forget it still shoots DVCPRO HD at 100mbps. Actually there are lots of reasons to keep using the HVX like CCDs no jello cam effect, true progressive chips, multiple frame rates that look really good, great audio, 4:2:2 colour space, and the post workflow is even easier then it use to be. FCP X works with mxf files now no problem. I actually repurchased an HVX a year ago and couldn't be happier.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I don't know the camera but have a "dated" ex1 - it gets some use - mainly as an at the back camera at music or corporate events where it is doing w locked off wide and taking a feed from the sound desk.

i also used it for an interview when my fs7 went offline due to a battery malfunction

also the ex1 gets grabbed if I have literally no setup time and something is occurring NOW

keep it.

I recently bought an hvx 205a. We are using it to shoot a tv show featuring Memphis-area musicians and artists. It is showing on a local ABC station, which broadcasts in 720. The camera works great for us.

1080p is expected and hvx only shoots up to 1080i but best used in 720p which no one wants anymore.

The HVX200 is actually a native 1080p camera. No matter what resolution recording is being done, or whether the recording is progressive or interlaced, the image is starting out internally as a 1080p image, and then during processing gets converted to the particular format selected for recording.

Plenty of local broadcast news and CSPAN shoots still use HVXs. IIHS uses a mess of cameras for all their testing, including HVXs. For simple HD delivery with decent light, they still work fine.

To shoot in 1080P just choose it in the menu system. Simple as it gets. Choose your frame rate, 24p or 30p and shoot.

I don't use it much anymore... but agree to hang onto it is good advice. And I'm 90% sure there's no 1080p only 1080i /30p... and the sensor is 960x720 native size and up-rezzing the 1080... but my memory could be wrong.

i have it's newer sibling, the hpx170. and for things like sports or events where the camera needs to be in motion. it's CCD is FAR better than any modern CMOS camera. and that's the ONE reason that i'll probably never sell it. that and the fact that there is just about no demand for it. and i don't like the idea of selling a $7,000 kit for $300 : (

i'd use it more for business event shoots and low budget jobs. but most of those require long takes, and the P2 workflow is a PITA for that kinda thing.

I don't use it much anymore... but agree to hang onto it is good advice. And I'm 90% sure there's no 1080p only 1080i /30p... and the sensor is 960x720 native size and up-rezzing the 1080... but my memory could be wrong.

Nope, you are mistaken. The camera is a progressive chip camera natively. There are numerous threads on this and Barry Green has explained it numerous times. Also, the camera does shoot 1080p natively. Again numerous threads that explain how the camera works to do this. Just do a search or go ask Barry direct, he can explain better than me. To sum up, this camera is not dead if all you need is a good 1080p or interlace image.

For those viewing this thread after two years, I'm pretty sure this guy is right. 1080 footage even looks up rezzed, However, it's a very useful camera for stuff that will mainly be viewed on the web in a small window, and even looks OK full screen. I still love the color science better than my FS7. I use it for a "knockaround" camera, when I am shooting non critical stuff all day in a crowded setting and don't want to worry about the camera disappearing. Only do that once or twice a year, but have it packed and ready to go today. My LCD stopped working in the normal position years ago, but still works when folded flat against the side, so I either use that or the viewfinder.

For those viewing this thread after two years, I'm pretty sure this guy is right. 1080 footage even looks up rezzed, However, it's a very useful camera for stuff that will mainly be viewed on the web in a small window, and even looks OK full screen. I still love the color science better than my FS7. I use it for a "knockaround" camera, when I am shooting non critical stuff all day in a crowded setting and don't want to worry about the camera disappearing. Only do that once or twice a year, but have it packed and ready to go today. My LCD stopped working in the normal position years ago, but still works when folded flat against the side, so I either use that or the viewfinder.

In the right profile the color is so nice.

It still very widely used in skateboarding because of the CCD sensor, servo zoom. and the width of the fisheyes available for that camera. The audio is also really nice.

3 Million views. Still putting it work.

Is there anyway to improve the 1080p output on any of the HPX/HMC/HVX models? Can you do 10 bit 422 out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-xxdtZcXeE&t=5s

Always remember, at the end of the day, a camera is just a tool. Its how we use them that makes the difference. The HVX is a tried and true workhorse in the industry and they are still even being rented out at my work @ VER.. as are Sony EX1s and 3s... dont let the age of a camera bewilder you to create. All the cameras i own are 10+ years old and I get very very beautiful images out of them. :)

Agree it's far from dead, but when (a young person) saw my ad selling all my gear including an HVX200A, an HVX200 and a DVX100A his comment was "Some antiques in there!!" to which my response was "Thank you for that description. The dictionary definition of "antique" is "having a high value because of age and quality". Maybe I should ask a higher price?"

Back