HV30 vs GL2

garret_21

New member
I was just needing some advice before I make a purchase between these two cameras. I a very familar with the GL2 and have used it quite a bit, and have been very happy with the outcome of its use. I am going to be purchasing my own camera and have heard the good and the bad about both the HV30 and GL2 and would like some expert advice in compairing the two. I will be using these to film hunts, so there will be a lot of low light filming and of course all outside. I know the GL2 is terrible in low light settings, but when put to a DVD turns out nice. Please i would like to hear the pros and cons of each one and what your opinion would be in getting one or the other.
 
HV30 is terrible in low light too. basically all consumer cams are bad in low light.

However, comparing a SD cam to HD cam, the HD cam resolution will be a clear winner.

You can take a look at this post I typed long time ago comparing the scene from HV20 and GL2 at the same location.

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=16161
 
I have a HV30, and it's not great in low light, but it's a great little camera and it's compact so would be great for outdoors.

HD is the way to go now, what i do is shoot HD and then back up the edited video in HD to tape, then make a standard def DVD. When i get a blu-ray player and burner i can use my HD backups to make HD versions.
 
I have no luck in printing video back to tape. There're a few problems,

1. The process always halted about 10 minutes.
2. There's a transcode took place to convert footage to HDV format AGAIN to print back to tape. Generation loss in quality.
3. You are risking drop out during the recording, and another risk of dropping out while capturing back.

Bluray burners are cheap these days ($150 LG burner).
 
Back
Top