HV20 or XM2(GL2)

Just looking for some advice, I all ready have a XM2 (GL2) and a Redrock M2, but I am thinking of upgrading to film in HD. I could sell my camera and get the HV20. My only concerns where the lack of manual controls, just wonderin what people would advise to this idea.
Cheers
Steve
 
Well, I've recently just switched to an HV20 from a GL1. So far in my short time with it, the HV20 has looked pretty good thanks to everyone's help finding out how to get most of the manual controls back and Barry's awesome article. If you've got an M2 adapter, the HV20 will benefit even more than your XM2.

One thing I must say is don't worry too much about the lack of the GL/XM-series focus wheel. The little dial on the HV20 does a surprisingly great job getting good focus, but that shouldn't matter much anyway since you'll be using an M2 adapter :). There's also a little bit of low light capability missing, but in my history with my GL1 I tried to avoid using low light footage at all costs in any case, too much noise in the image even with 0db of gain. Other than that, there's not much you'll miss by switching.
 
I'm in a similar situation. I have saved $1,300 and I can get a new HV20 or a used GL2.

The thing is that I can't edit HD right now on my computer, and I don't have the money to upgrade my computer yet. So my plan with the HV20 would be to shoot HD then convert to SD during capture, and edit this footage.

So basically for me, it boils down to: Is the HV20's SD footage (obtained through the above method) comparable to the GL2's footage?
 
Urgh! The dreaded "Can't edit HD right now" problem!

Really, just go for the HV20. You can edit in HD later plus you'll still get the benefit of native widescreen and, as you've said yourself, you can downconvert to SD anyway so why not?

By being downconverted from HD(v) the HV20's SD footage will be better than the GL2's.

Other than that, you won't have to deal with getting a used camera by going with the HV20, that'll definitely help later on down the line with warranty issues and such.
 
Back
Top