HV20 + Letus35 FE - stills from short

Hey guys,

I'll have to upload a couple stills of the gg off and then on. The static grain is different from this grain we are seeing. I know the exact grain you are talking about on the shot of the paper. There is definitely a "grain" like pattern that is the gg but not static grain. It is actually moving, but giving the same consistent pattern while moving.

Getting the HV20 to focus on the GG was pretty easy. It can do it by itself on autofocus then I switch to manual focus to lock it. I used 1/48th shutter (TVmode i think) and used a bright source of light to lock the aperture with the greatest latitude of adjustment. It was 24p.

I removed the pulldown with TMPGenc express 4.03 and edited in Sony Vegas 7.0.

Lighting was all natural. I had a UV filter on the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens that I used.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll try to get those stills of the gg on and off up.

Thanks,
Ando
 
In TMPG, how do you remove the pulldown? I am used to overly complex interfaces, and TMPG is an overly simple one.
 
Hey,

It's fairly simple once you get a template setup. And it can batch process as well. Here are all the details:

http://hv20.com/showthread.php?t=1417

So the grain pattern is still persistent with my 50mm and I even made a makeshift Mattebox which didn't seem to help too much.

I'm a little worried now since I have a music to video to shoot on Thursday.

Anyone have any ideas what is might be. The gg was on and vibrating...maybe new batteries? Light Leak into Letus35 FE housing??

Laters,
Ando
 
I could be wrong, but it looked like smearing on the 35mm lens. It looked like the view through my glasses when the antireflective coating starts to streak.

Question: Did you use more than one still lens? There are a couple of shots that I cant see any of this 'grain'. I was wondering if the front or back of one of your film lenses is was cleaned with something that left streaks on it.

Just a guess really. Good luck.
 
Hey,

Thanks for the reply Onyk. The lens and uv filters on the lens I used is clean. I thought the same thing and used a different lens today and go the same result pretty much.

Here are a couple pics of the gg on and off:

This is off:
GGoff.jpg





This is on:

GGon.jpg



I can still see the grain pattern in the 'gg on' version as well. I used a makeshift mattebox to cut out light today but still the same thing results. I'll post a little clip of video with movement so it can be seen.

It seems to be harder to see sometimes depending on when aperture I set it at, but it still seems to be there.

THanks,
ANdo
 
Hey,

I might have figured out the problem.

I went all out and took the whole Letus35 FE apart to clean it out and just to get a little more familiar with it.

So I got it all back together and then I tried a different set of batteries instead of the rechargeables and it seemed to vibrate quite a bit stronger so that helped some.

Then I went back and read the Letus35 Flip Enhanced article that Jason wrote and configured the Letus more accurately by zooming in quite a bit more to get the right 35mm Film frame. This helps because the grain moves quicker because I'm zoomed in closer to it.

I haven't tried it in super bright sunlight, but I think with my DIY mattebox it will hopefully take care of the problem.

Thanks for all your help and interest.

I post more of the short once I shoot and finish editing.

THanks,
Ando
 
This is one of the best things I have seen posted here. Excellent job.

As a side note, I think that some of the shots when he is coming through the tunnel kill the pace of it all, but that's just me.

Excellent work regardless.
 
ando

the letus has a week point on bright and white object

so you can see this "swirl" of the GG on of the things is that the legs of the motor attached to the gg are glowed with hot glow and maybe on of them got loss and you need to glow it again i had the same problem with my letus i sent a pic of the gg block to Quyen Le from letus and he show me which one leg is loss so i put a drop of hot glue and problem solved!!!!

you can see my clips all of them shot with v-1 &letus35fe

best set the focus is turn of the GG put the 35mm lens at f/stop 16 then you can see clear the GG then focus on it and lock it

www.myspace.com/ramdp
 
Hey Guys,

I just got back from shooting a music video for a friend in LA with my HV20 + Letus35 FE.

I figured out that the static grain problem I was having is a common problem with vibrating DOF adapters where you have the shutter set too high or have the lens closed down too far. To get around it I maintained a 1/48 or 1/24 shutter speed and left the lens wide open using ND Filters to bring down the exposure. Plus I added a DIY mattebox.

Someone had asked to see my setup and here it is:
HV20+letus35FE.jpg


HV20 + Letus35 FE + Nikon 50mm f1.8 + indirails + DIY shoulder mount + DIY handles + H300 Hoodman + Bogen/Manfrotto 3130 legs & Microfluid head.

I used the focus assist feature on the camera to focus all the shots and it worked very well. Didn't need or have access to a bigger LCD.

The setup on the tripod is a little front heavy, but I managed fine with it and will probably add a Cavision 15mm tripod adapter to balance the rig more on the tripod.

I'll hopefully finish this thread's short film within the next couple weeks and I'll post the music video images in another thread if the artist doesn't mind.

Thanks,
Ando
 
Back
Top