HPX170 and Letus Extreme Footage...

NC17z

Well-known member
Got the Letus Extreme today and couldn't wait to give it a whirl on the Panasonic HPX170. Frame Rate is 60P down to 24P in camera. Two scene files used from Barry Green's the HVX/HPX Book- Extremes - I used Filmc and Color. Shutter speed was 1/120th. Glass - Nikon 55mm 1.4, 105mm.

http://www.vimeo.com/3757057

It doesn't seem to stream as well as my other videos on Vimeo. I'm exporting out of Adobe Media Encoder H.264 as a Quick Time File. If anyone has any advice on how to make it smooter I would be forever greatful.
 
Looks great NC17z - really clean!

Nice one.


I just noticed in your signature that you're using a Steadicam Merlin. How are you liking it with the 170? Do you think that with the added weight of the adapter it will still be adequate?

The reason I ask is that I was getting a demo of the Steadicam Pilot the other day and was told that the Merlin was probably a little too light for use with anything heavier than the 170 (by itself). Curious to hear you thoughts...


thanks - again nice job!

dmc
 
Last edited:
I've only owned the HPX170 for about two weeks. I primarily used it (Merlin) with the DVX100b for Weddings. It was a perfect match. I had a nice balance and was happy with it. Now that I have the HPX170, I've only done some balancing tests and it seems to be just enough wait. Anymore wait would be too much for the Merlin. I have found that all stabilizers require allot of practice and strength. I've owned the Glidecam 2000 as well as a Glidecam V-8. For what I do the Merlin was the most practical unit for me. I can pull that thing out and set it up in like 60 Seconds and be shooting... I mean it. Anything else would require much more time that I just can't afford to loose.
 
thanks for the reply NC17z. Yeah I'm kinda torn - I'm really leaning towards the Pilot but it's a little too much $$ to spend right now. I'll have to try the Merlin with the 170 at some point.


dmc
 
hey nice looking footage, i'm looking to get an LEX. what all did you get with your set up? (which rail system, etc). How long did it take to get to you? did you have a good experience with the people at LEX?
 
hey nice looking footage, i'm looking to get an LEX. what all did you get with your set up? (which rail system, etc). How long did it take to get to you? did you have a good experience with the people at LEX?


I bought the Letus Extreme used from a DVXUSER... I did buy the rails from Letus Direct. They've allways been great to buy from. Very prompt and well packaged.
 
Can someone please tell me the actual weight of all the weights that come together with Merlin? thanks
 
Back
Top