How to get started in a 3d world...

Hawk Teflon

Veteran
I'm really considering taking a step into the 3d side of things, but it's SO overwhelming. I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty fluent in Final Cut, and getting there in After Effects, but I'd really like to be able to work in a real 3d environment as well (and not the 2.5d env. that AE gives you). I downloaded Blender a few months back, and I went through the walkthrough on wikipedia on how to make a man, etc, but I wonder how I'd do on my own. When I first started AE (around 2006ish), I was like, "This ... this doesn't make any sense." So I played around with it, read some basic tutorials and was able to understand more and more. THEN I found videocopilot.net, and Andrew Kramer really helped me see AE for what it was, what it could do, and how to do that. I'm a very visual learner.

So before paying a couple hundred dollars for something, I wanted to know if there were other sites that taught 3d basics as well as AK teaches 2.5d basics.
 
So I've been reading up more, and it seems that Cinema 4d is closer to what I'm looking for (since 3d Studio Max is not a go for the mac). That site seems amazing, but has no C4d tools.
 
I just jumped into 3d as well a few months ago and went with C4D. Just seemed to fit my needs and be the most intuitive (to me at least). Most of the programs have trials available. Test them out and do a few tutorials. Then pick one and go with it. Then like Anhar said just start creating. It really is the best way to learn.
 
I've been at C4D for around 2 yrs and I've found C4dCafe to be the place to
learn from. 3DKiwis free (1$ donation per download if you can) tutorials are top
notch and in depth. Any questions anyone asks usually gets a response
within 5 minutes. There are loads of other googled tutorials also.
Never had to buy a C4D tutorial CD.

I've seen 2 'Digital Tutors' Cd's so far (Maya/Zbrush Displacement and ZBrush Basics) and I'd highly recommend them as well.

Good luck mate. Post your stuff as you go along if you want. Most people have thier own threads here with periodic updates.
 
Awesome! Thanks a lot guys! I can't wait to get working on something. A month or so ago, I made a rock in blender. It was actually a smooth stone ... or really a cube that I messed up really bad. BUT if anyone needs a stone, let me know.
 
Back
Top