Higher shutter speeds

TrueIndigo

Well-known member
If I want to use a faster than normal shutter speed, how fast can you go before it gets noticeable? I have been shooting 1/50th (for PAL) in the 720p50 mode, but to help augment the effect of an ND filter in a bright exterior (to allow a wide aperture for shallow DoF), what would be the upper shutter speed?
 
Not sure what PAL shutters are like or if they're different....I usually try not to go over 1/120 if it's not for like an action scene..I guess that'd be 1/100 but sometimes you have to keep DOF in bright light (but maybe not with NDs.) Using the kit lens is really helpful because since it's slow but still get excellently shallow DOF @ higher focal lengths you can really use it to your advantage in high light.
 
Shoot traffic passing you in the street in Creative Motion Picture mode, shutter priority. Set it rolling using the lowest shutter speed, and announce what it is. Keep rolling, change to next speed up, announce what it is. Go through all the settings, replay on best setup available, and note during playback and during frame freeze what happens to the image of the passing cars at what shutter speed.
 
Back
Top