[FS: General] High speed camera 720P @ 1400+ frames per second Redlake N3

ashomsky

New member
Link to eBay auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161059989265?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I'm selling a Redlake N3 high speed camera, capable of recording super slow motion video at up to 1,040 frames per second at 1280x1024 resolution, 1,472fps at 720P resolution, and up to 64,300 fps at 1280x16! Check out these demo reels of footage I filmed with this camera:

Redlake N3 high speed camera for sale! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btbiEhI0L-8
N3 demo reel on BeyondSlowMotion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RufApQ1tImY


Specifications
The specs can be found here: http://web.archive.org/web/20100125194947/http://idtvision.com/imaging/nseries.php
N3 Brochure: http://web.archive.org/web/20091229084802/http://www.idtvision.com/documents/nseries.pdf

Check out this test video for sample clips shot in normal mode, plus mode, and with different compression settings.
http://youtu.be/S7WdYkZoMK8

Condition
The camera has been used by me personally for three years but you don’t need to worry about anything getting worn out - the build quality of this camera is so rock-solid you could hardly scuff it if you threw it down a flight of stairs. It is designed for bolting inside of cars during automotive crash testing (no joke, that is its main advertised purpose) and is up to snuff with industrial durability standards. The body is solid metal and there are no moving parts, no buttons or switches, no LCD screen, basically nothing to wear out or break. It works just like it did the day I got it. There are 100+ videos on my youtube channel that I filmed with this camera: https://www.youtube.com/user/ashomsky

Pricing
IDT (the distributor) does not provide pricing information publicly any more, but last time they did was in 2010 and this camera was priced at $30,000 at that time. See the “base price” tab on this page:
http://web.archive.org/web/20100329020541/http://idtvision.com/imaging/compare.php
This exact model is no longer available from IDT.

Lens mount
The camera takes C-mount lenses, but I will provide a C-mount to Canon EF lens converter and C-mount to Nikon converter so you can use Canon EF, EF-S, or Nikkor DSLR lenses with it. If you will use C-mount lenses make sure they are 1” format because the sensor is quite large and smaller-format lenses can cause vignetting. You can also use other types of lenses as long as there is a C-mount adapter for that type. The 35mm cropping factor of the sensor is roughly 2x, so a 50mm lens will look more like 100mm, etc. The sensor size is 15.4 x 12.3mm.

Included
Redlake N3 high speed camera
AC power cord for camera
Canon EF-mount to C-mount lens adapter
Nikon F-mount to C-mount lens adapter
Ethernet cable
C-mount body cap
Trigger cable
Paperwork

Note: No camera battery is included,only an AC power cord. IDT does make a battery but I never got one. They also sell cables that allow you to connect the camera to any 12V battery with an industry-standard 4-pin XLR connector.
Note: No lens is included. You can use C-mount, Canon EF-mount, or Nikon F-mount DSLR lenses with the supplied adapters. C-mount adapters are also available for other lens types. I recommend prime lenses with wide apertures because the camera is quite light-hungry due to the fast shutter speeds that are required for high speed video.

Workflow / How to use this camera
Please see this video for an overview of the workflow to use this camera. It is not a normal consumer camera and you should understand how it works before bidding. Before I ever considered selling the camera I made this video to highlight the amount of work I put into my youtube videos, it so it is 100% honest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT-arogjKOw

Here is a more in-depth tutorial I made showing how to use Motion Studio to control the camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7m2yVHGLQ

Here’s a manual for Motion Studio, the software that controls the camera: http://idtvision.com/documents/mstudio_man_en.pdf
Don’t worry, it’s not very complicated to use and you don’t even need to worry about most of the stuff the software does. Motion Studio is available for Windows or Mac.

Other notes
Please be aware of the bright lighting that is necessary to film high speed video. 1,000 fps means your shutter speed must be at least 1/1000[SUP]th[/SUP] of a second or faster, and normal indoor lighting is not nearly bright enough to work with. Daylight works great. This is a limitation that is inherent to high speed video and not specific to this camera.

I have used the camera on a regular basis for three years and am quite familiar with how it works. If the buyer has questions before or after the sale I will be happy to answer them.
 
Back
Top