Hello all. I am new here. I am writting my first book and screenplay.
I'm new at this but a very good writter. I have the main script down and it is very good,but I still would love pointers.
Get a dictionary or spell-checker! Muahahaha! Sorry, couldn't resist.
Seriously, buy some books and read them front to back: go to Amazon.com and punch in Screenplay, choose based upon what suits you and its reviews. Also, if it's a book you are writing, I would suggest you engage the services of a good editor.
I would recommend Story by Robert Mckee. I'm no expert at screenwriting but I am 10000% better than I was when I first started and it's all due to this book. I tried reading other books but not of them made as much sense or were as entertaining as Story. It's honestly one of my favorite books. Not just screenwriting books, but books period.
He talks about how being a good writer is not enough, but you must know the guidelines of screenplay writing. People see a script and see a lot of white space vs. black text so they think it's easy, but it's not. It's easier to get into the heads and thoughts of people in a novel format than it is in the screenplay format where you have to convey the same message but in 1/10th the space.
If you watched Adaptation, written by Charlie Kaufmann and directed by Spike Jonze, a big portion of the movie deals with that book (and I'm not talking about an indirect, referential way. I'm talking about literally, they take about Story by Robert Mckee, played by Brian Cox).
What I find funny is people who think that they are making fun of Robet Mckee's Story in the movie but if you really pay attention, the whole movie is a sincere homage to the novel. In fact Robert Mckee, the real one, writes the forward to the published screenplay of Adaptation.
Some people think they don't need to read books or need to be "taught" how to write scripts because that stifles them creatively which I think is foolish. They think they know everything they need to know. If you're a genius like Shakespeare, then yes, go ahead, write on your own. If you're not though, some help would probably be nice. You wouldn't just suddenly think, "I've watched my dad drive a million times so that means I can drive!" So why do so many young screenwritiers think, "I've watched a million movies so I can write a script!" No, you gotta learn the rules and try it out yourself.
The rules are there not to stilfe you, but to make you understand the conventions and when and how to break them. I'm writing a lot more experimental stuff now than I was before I knew the conventions. Before, I thought I was so unique but I realize the stuff I wrote back then was cliche. No one is gonna reinvent the wheel on their own. Chances are what they think are new and unique and totally breaking the rules is trite and has been done a million times, they just don't know it because they aren't aware. (by the way, I'm not saying "you" and in specifically you but as in a general sense)
Now I do understand though why books like Story might get that bum rap. Because I have read books by other people that do exactly what people are afraid of: make everyone into formulaic writers making classical "Hollywood" cinema. My current screenwriting professer told the class he was shocked when he went to USC and the old screenwriting teacher there told them on the first day of class that the most important thing is to write a happy ending. But I assure you, Story is NOT one of these bad outside influences. It'll free you up, not constrict you.
A couple of things to think about in writing a screenplay:
Think cinematically. A lot of books say to do this but don't always elaborate. Here is an example:
We have a female character that has problems getting dates. She tells a friend about her dilemma and her friend reccomends seeing a doctor that she knows.
Now we could have these two women sitting at a resturant and have the main character describe what she has been going through with regard to not getting dates. This gives the audience the information. But it's boring.
Alternatively you could write this as a montage of images of the woman getting dressed to the 9s - Getting all primped and what not and show her at various clubs and bars where all the women around her are getting hit on but she gets ignored.
Much more interesting. A key rule is this: Show it, don't say it.
Dialog: Dialog is one of the toughest things to master. The reason is that people don't speak like the written word. Run-on sentances, fragmented sentances, bad grammar, bad pronunciation, fragmented statements that are interrupted mid-stream by other dialog etc.
Listen to the way that people speak. Write your dialog like that. Then have some people read it for you. When you hear it read back you will pick out a LOT of issues that it will have.
Read these:
Making a good script great: Linda Seger
Creating unforgettable characters: Linda Seger
Screenplay: Syd Field
Syd Field also has a decent DVD on screenwriting. You can rent it on Netflix.
Never let the rules of screenwriting limit what you want to do. The paradigm of:
1st act - 30 pages
2nd act - 60 pages
3rd act - 30 pages
In the 1st 10 pages do something that get's the audiences attention
That paradigm is a guide. Not a rule.
The first rule of screenwriting is that there are no rules. Only guidelines.
I'd also recommend getting your hands a few scripts. No shooting scripts just scripts.
Check Internet Movie Script Database for scripts. Or Drew's Script O Rama.
Most of the books that were mentioned are good reads.
A few suggestions and take these with a grain of salt:
1. Less is more. Keep the action lines tight and descriptive. No need to describe everything that's in the scene.
2. Forget the camera angles. You're writing for the Script Readers and you're not the director.
3. If you're over 120 pages, guess what you forgot rule 1 and 2.
Listen to the way that people speak. Write your dialog like that. Then have some people read it for you. When you hear it read back you will pick out a LOT of issues that it will have.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
generally this is not really the way to go. movie speak is not reality speak. but nonetheless, listening to the rythm and inflection and structure of the way people really talk is useful and instructive but most of the gurus will tell you that movie speak is a representation or suggestion of the way people really speak.