HDV superior then DVCPROHD?

Nope, not buying this one. When it is possible, running a comparable camera to comparable camera we will do a side by side. There would be no contest with the HDX400, but that would not be fair. When we have image to run with from the HVX, I would be more than happy to run this side by side.

Best,

Jan
 
He said for:
crowd/ fast pan scenes - DVCPRO HD is better
static/less action scenes - HDV is better

When DVCPROHD says its 1080 it means 1280x1080, but when HDV says 1080 it is 1440x1080

similarly for 720, DVCPRO HD is 960x720, where HDV is 1280x720

so HDV has more resolution, but HDV's GOP6 compression suck - at least they dint go with GOP15, so lets see if it is noticable....
 
even if it has more resolution.. the quality of the image interms of compression, color space, etc.. is more important to the eye anyway. Even if HDV has more resolution, if its gonna have artifacts, whats the point? Just go with what has seems to have the better picture.

Its kinda like, PD170 vs DVX in 60i ... the pd has a sharper image, but its look is very Video. The DVX has a look of its own (when cinegamma and cinematrix are engaged), and is more pleasing to the eye,IMO. Slightly lower "res" but looks better over all.
 
Jan...
How is DVCPro HD dealing with the pixel difference between the HDTV Standards? Is it anomorphosed (Streched) from 1280 to 1920? As far as I know there is no other Camera in the panasonic line that records 1080P so I don't know how this would be handled. I still think the format is superior to HDV (I love the Varicam). But it would be interesting to know this info.
 
evinsky said:
Jan...
How is DVCPro HD dealing with the pixel difference between the HDTV Standards? ...it would be interesting to know this info.


I'll bet I know Jan's answer to that one.

"Wait until NAB"

:)
 
David Newman
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Registered: Jul 2003
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 666



Obviously he says these things since he's the devil (look at the post count!)

Anyhow, he's talking about 40mbps at 960X720.
The HDX is 80mbps at 1440(1280?)X1080.

Also, he's selling a product.

That said, HDV isn't bad. But just because of workflow issues, I'll never touch it. I'm not getting an HDX, either, but just because it's expensive.
 
Jan how is this. If the camcorder records 100 mbps at 60i than it records 40mbps at 24p? Or... it always records 100mbps wich means it puts more information in a 1/24 frame?
 
HDV is good but I don't like the compression method. They've written here on this forum that DVCProHD is DIF not M2T. The loss of a frame in DIF is just that, the loss of 1 frame. HDV loosing an I frame causes the loss of the entire GOP which spells trouble.

I can see that there is a desparity in resolution though. I guess you have to weigh what is important to you. To me DVCProHD is operates in the 422 color space, where HDV works in 420. This alone makes DVCProHD superior even with the desparity in resolution. You can do more with 422 than 420 (for instance chromakey work, etc).
 
JVC has an error correction going over 6 frames. It means the major information is in every frame in a GOP. You shouldn't get any dropout on the playback.
 
It true that you shouldn't but a dirty head means full GOP drops. Anyway, there is a fundamental difference in the recording structure between the formats.
 
SergejIvanovits said:
JVC has a direct to disk option. It means 0 dropout.

I've been informed on previous posts that there can still be dropout issues on a direct to disk system.
 
Digigenic said:
I've been informed on previous posts that there can still be dropout issues on a direct to disk system.
On disk systems? Can you get dropouts during data transfer via firewire port? Than dropouts can be on P2 cards as well or ....?
 
The first instance I remember of Wavelet was in 1999 with Applied Magic's Screenplay editing appliance. It was real time, dual stream -- for $3,995 -- in 1999!!! Crazy, huh!?

I remember it being much faster as an editing codec than the DV codec.
Could have been a hardware/software thing happening there, I don't know for sure.
Anyways, it was quick and cheap.

What does the Aspect HD codec cost?
 
evinsky said:
Jan...
How is DVCPro HD dealing with the pixel difference between the HDTV Standards? Is it anomorphosed (Streched) from 1280 to 1920? As far as I know there is no other Camera in the panasonic line that records 1080P so I don't know how this would be handled. I still think the format is superior to HDV (I love the Varicam). But it would be interesting to know this info.

After NAB is probably when I will get back to this question. I am so overloaded with too many things to do, I cannot begin to give this question a good well thought out answer. So please ask it again following NAB. It will likely be buried. I am actually trying to get the old white papers posted on the website, but we have to find them and then there is NAB. So please understand, I am not dissing the question. The fact that you love the VariCam should tell you something.

Best,

Jan
 
Back
Top