HDV FX1E+G35: clips from VIDEOCLUB shortfilm

I'll be the voice of dissent here. While it looked cool from a experimental technical standpoint I found the shallow DOF to be over used. It reminds me of morphing or the 'matrix' effects. It's cool the first or second time but then becomes too obvious.

Also it was probably mis-used in some shots. Example the guy walking into the store. It comes off very much as a POV shot like maybe he lost his glasses. Yet he's wearing his glasses. See my point? I'm just giving you a general idea of how audiences will feel when they're watching the film. Some of it looked so surreal almost 'blue screened'. Again cool looking stuff but in the future I would only use it for shots that really benefit from shallow DOF.
 
Good point Mathew! I think we all tend to get a bit excited when stuff looks cool... at the end of the day, the visual style should serve the story!

As far as the colour grading, I like the 1st one, but the 2nd one looks like the shot was overexposed or it is a REALLY hot sunny day. It is hard to judge without knowing the context. It should all grade nicely because the original looks so good and is well controlled.
 
I had three lenses to shot this shortfilm:
- nikon 50mm f1.4
- sigma 17-35mm f 2.4-3.5
- sigma 28-200 f2.8-5.6

So, in order to see grain i have to open the iris as much as possible. With the 50mm there is no problem. The other lenses gave me some problems.

Personally i love DOF, and even when filming in 35mm or 16mm i try to open as much as possible (never open at full becase the lense performance is not the best at full open).

I love DOF when shooting medium format pictures. It lets me "focus" on what i want. Its annoying to have a close up of a character and have disturbing things perfectly focused on the background. I get better colors and a personal touch to images becasue it lets me to have control on Z axis. It gives depth to images, something we cannot do in DV.

So why not using it? This is not like using morphing. This is like using BW film in a whole movie for artistic reasons. Would you then say "man, it is BW the whole movie!" ?

;P
 
That car scene will be really really nice when all is said and done in terms of editing and color correction. I assume the camera with the actor was the one with the g35, all other
FX-1s were stock?
 
Camera list:
- fx1 for the side shot
- xl2 for the front and upper shot
- panasonic 3ccds (dont know the name but around €1800) in the ceiling
- fx1 with G35 with the actor
- very bad sony handycam inside the car
- old Sony Hi8 camera in the first dvd rack (not yet captured but you can see it hidden from the ceiling shot!)
 
Handycam inside the car? It held up pretty well for a handicam IMO, but I guess compression and a small viewing space help.
 
mmm said:
As far as the colour grading, I like the 1st one, but the 2nd one looks like the shot was overexposed or it is a REALLY hot sunny day. It is hard to judge without knowing the context. It should all grade nicely because the original looks so good and is well controlled.

I totally agree, the only reason I included that was because it resembled a Production Still and thought it looked pretty cool. I wouldn't actually use it on moving footage, it's not at all subtle. Glad you like the 1st one, and thanks for commenting :)
 
Thanks, and no worries. If you want me to take a screenshot of the settings, so you can easily recreate either of the looks, just send me a PM.
 
How about this:

Image4.jpg



Image0.jpg
 
I'm not exactly sure what you meant by 'how about this:' (unless you were replying to someone who asked for full res stills.

Well I graded the two grabs and also did screenshots of the Color Correction settings in Vegas. They aren't at full res now though (they're now 800 x 395), I'm not setup to edit that high res.

Anyway,

CC_1.jpg

CC_1.gif


CC_2.jpg

CC_2.gif



Hope that can help someone.
 
this footage makes me want to get a sony next go round. Thanks for posting. I seem to remember you posting some shots of cars a while back that looked really phenomenal. was that the sony as well?
Brian
 
Back
Top