HD100 as a Wedding camera?

I have heard nothing but great things about this cam APART from the fact it only shoots in 720.
 
I've wondered about that. When will the day come when I get clients asking for weddings shot in some form of HD. I like that the camera is switchable between 480 and 720. Sorta future proofs it to a degree.
 
I shot the HD100 3 times for weddings. Once, I shot 720p. The other 2, 24P in standard def. Pretty gorgeous either way. I highly recommend the HD100 panamatch (Stephen Noe's) with blackpress for weddings. Plus the big battery and an on-board light, you'll look like you're carrying an ENG camera which looks way cool.
 
For SDminiDV, I'd probably go with the DVX100 if your clients have no interest in HD. I personally think it produces a better picture in SD (from my very limited exerience) because the colors look more natural and vibrant to my eye. The DVX100 is also more sensative and will perform better in low light.

On the other hand, low light work wedding stuff is really your thing, the Sony Z1 is really the way to go as it has by far the best low light performance. On the other hand, it's 24p loses resolution and looks like crap. It's all relative.
 
I'm now a proud owner and you folks weren't kidding; this camera delivers. I can't wait for Apple start supporting 24p HDV in FCP.
 
Just got the HD100U in last week. It was interesting getting used to such a different body than the DVX, but it was like operating a baby version of the DV-5000s and 500s at work. I am very impressed so far with this cam.
 
Last edited:
androbot2084 said:
Actually 30p is higher definition than 24p
Yeah, I can maybe grasp the concept your capturing more image information over the same span of time, but 30p is not giving you a greater color latitude, image size, etc.

I will add that if you are looking to add a stylized, less video look to your event without going as far as full blown 24p which can be distracting for some clients, 30p is a nice middle ground.
 
just a tip.... deliver your weddings on WMVHD DVD9. these disk won't cost you anything in gear to burn and is mandatory codec for both Bluray and HD DVD.

Do not gain boost past 9db the dynamic range is greater than what your used too with the DVX. Just brighten in post if you must.

If in doubt underexpose rather over expose. The screen on the HD100 really isn't a good reference as to what is really going on. After trial an error of view various scenarios in post you get the know the real capabilities of this cam.
 
Last edited:
You can use a standard quarter inch tripod screw on the HD100. I'll probably look into an adaptor plate when/if I get rods and a mattebox for the cam or a larger tripod.
 
Ya the HD100 is really awesome cam very happy.

I use it with the sony as well. Don't worry about the 1080i thing the rezo is different but not better.

You will see. it is hard to explain I like both for difierrent applications. I use the HD100 as lead cam. I like it better for tight zoom from a distance giving me a bit a depth of field pleasing shots and the Z1u as rear 2nd cam for wide angle shots. the 1080i helps to get the wide detail. The z1u also is easierin the park pictures for the wacky angles shots. But any close-ups the HD100 image feels better. It's funny how the two cams work best together.

if you want to extend your battery life learn how to use manual zoom. I tend to use manual zoom in the ceremony where I am cutting from aux cam oftend and servo in the bridals for smoother response.

I am currently handing in my wedding as WMV HD dvd which is compatable with both Blu Ray and HD dvd players.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations to you that you are sucessfully delivering high definition video. On other forums I am always scolded when I talk about the distribution of high definition video because these moderators are convinced that the distribution of high definition video is impractical.
 
The JVC is a wonderful camera, especially if you play with the settings and just experiment with it, the only thing is the those dam heavy batteries compared to the dxx
 
oh and one other tip...30 fps shutter speed helps under low light for recpetion speeches as long as you are stable on a tripod.
 
Back
Top