Has Panasonic Given Up on P2?

I have a hard time equating "Panasonic's upper crust cameras" with "$5000-$6000".

Wow Mitch, I am quite surprised at your responses on this thread. As I understand it, you are now working for Panasonic and representing their products to some extent on this forum. Answering questions with questions and mis-quoting to refute what I am posting about does not seem like a dignified way to treat a customer.

I am not standing across from a counter from you nor am I talking about cinema camera but that does not mean the cameras I purchase or would like to purchase are any less important.

To straighten out your reply - I never stated that $6,000 represented Panasonic's top camera. Like many products, classes exist and P2 always represents the best Panasonic has to offer in that class. So the Px270 is about the best 1/3" chip camera ever made. It started in the $5-6000 range and was a P2 camera with high end codecs. I hope that Panasonic would make a 1" chip camera with the P2 designation and it would perform better than the current non P2 versions.

I know you know this but for some reason you felt the need to be smart.
 
Sorry if it came off insulting in any way, I certainly didn't mean it to be. My only point was to note that Panasonic offers many products and we have several larger cameras that utilize P2. I can't state that we will or will not offer a camera in the product type you describe that utilizes P2. The "handhelds" (our internal shorthand) are not my product category, and we don't give out that sort of info anyway. But we are certainly not abandoning P2, as we have a number of products that utilize it. I would note that the market for $5000-$6000 all-in-one cameras (meaning permanent lens, professional but not shoulder-mount, like the 270) is very price conscious. That makes it tough on proprietary media such as P2 no matter how excellent the performance.
 
Back
Top