happy with your DVX uprez?

luster

Well-known member
are you guys that shot on DVX happy with the quality after uprezzing to anamorphic size for the dvd?
 
since there are so many entries for these contests maybe they could fill two dvds. one for dvx one for hvx, that way us dvx shooters wouldn't have to uprez our stuff.
 
it only makes a difference on the big screen. on a tv its basically indestinguishable.
 
yeah the 60i slowmo in mine wasnt as sharp as i wanted. -- i shot squeeze for my first day, then totally forgot and shot letterbox my second day so my file isn't anamorphic!!!! -- eh. its my first contest. you live and you learn. -- i slowed the footage down to 40% but the interlacing just lowers the quality... whenever i deinterlaced the footage, the slow-mo never played back correctly... so... it's glass smooth (as barry would say) now.
 
Last edited:
I shot with Andromeda but because of the short amount of time I had to edit I stuck with letterboxed standard rez because I just didn't want to add another new thing into the mix (never worked with an anamorphic NTSC editing/exporting workflow and this was also the first time I've actually edited a feature from andromeda, I did a few tests and stuff but that was way different, I was working with HD and 720p is easy to render out).

So I'm afraid my entry will have to be uprezzed as well....
 
thekyleman71 said:
will 'have to be'? certainly you mean 'was'
I submitted letterboxed 4x3 format. Like I said, I didn't mess around with a widescreen project. I didn't realize there'd be a grace period for format problems, and as it was I didn't get everything finished until 15 minutes before midnight.
 
Who uprezzed? I didn't--I shot in native 16:9 SD on a 2/3" camera. Were we supposed to? Because I totally could have used this project to try out that InstantHD software on my edit master. I mean, for $99, why not?
 
I was just talking uprez from the normal sd (720x480 .9 pixel aspect) that the dvx outputs to the widescreen sd (720x480 1.2 pixel aspect) needed for the anamorphic dvd.

You have to scale up regular dvx footage about 33% to get the anamorphic size without distorting your picture.
 
I shot in squeeze mode and am perfectly satisfied with then results.

I'm actually very grateful for the opportunity to shoot in squeeze; none of my client projects ever require it.
 
Back
Top