Green screen focus fun

zoob

Active member
I'm about to go into the studio for some green screen fun with my consumer HDV cam. I was wondering how to focus if the talent is running towards the camera and away from the green screen.
Thx
 
Last edited:
Same way you would focus if a wall, building, or dinosaur was behind them. Mark it on a follow focus, figure out focus points on your lens ring, etc. Tight focus is handy for pulling keys.

There are focus tutorials on the web, many work around marking focus points on the floor and corresponding marks on an ff or on your lens ring (tape works well for this) or watching for "landmarks" at a location. Rehearse and double check footage before you wrap. A good monitor helps.
 
Have you shot the plate yet? If you have, you need to focus it however it was focused with the plate.....
 
... or shoot the plate sharp and defocus it as needed when you comp.

And if there is ANY camera motion... get some tracking points up.
 
Plate? Focus ring?
This is a little HDV consumer cam. They don't even come with viewfinders anymore.
I just thought I should get the largest DOF possible and go for it.
I'm totally lost...
 
Back
Top