great photographer

Rick Meyer

Veteran
I was watching a show called "Close Up: Photographers at Work" on the Ovation Channel. Wow. It really is something to see some of these masters work.

Not to take anything away from the other 4 featured photographers but one artist whose work was really jaw dropping to me was Gregory Crewdson. Impressive. Though, I'm sure his work would not appeal to every one because it is less about capturing a specific and natural moment in time...his photos are planned, staged and downright quirky but incredibly artistic nonetheless. I loved them.

LINK


(nothing inspires more than seeing brilliant work of others. Might we get a thread going or sticky with links from some of the greats? just a suggestion...)

update: this guy is great as well. Timothy Greenfield-Sanders...also on the show. What a portrait master. LINK
 
Last edited:
Yeah, he also had a small feature in a BBC series called the Genus of Photography. It's wild the amount of time and detail that he puts into photography and shoots it all on a large format film camera. The thing that amused me, was that even though he plans for so long and makes everything just right.....that in the end he still goes back and photoshops stuff. The image I saw he changed the color of the street lamp lights and removed a mailbox or fire hydrant or something.
 
It's true. But, he goes through no more lengths than what cinematographers do for film. It's all about finding the perfect balance of lighting, composition, interest and exposure. The fact that he goes through all that work doesn't really bother me so much because he could/and possibly should be doing that for film. His eye is fantastic. Plus, his final product ain't so bad either. :happy:
 
I'm not saying he wasn't impressive. And I agree his end product it really nice. I think some of them kind of look link Normal Rockwell paintings. It just amused me that even with months of prep, that even this guy has to rely on Photoshop.
 
It just amused me that even with months of prep, that even this guy has to rely on Photoshop.

Yeah. That amused me too. During a set up for one of his shots he said "don't worry about that. I'll take it out in post." lol.

But I thought the same thing...they have a norman rockwell meets "the outer limits" vibe...
 
I'm not saying he wasn't impressive. And I agree his end product it really nice. I think some of them kind of look link Normal Rockwell paintings. It just amused me that even with months of prep, that even this guy has to rely on Photoshop.

cant exactly move a fire hydrant for a day.......
 
i love the fact that he doesnt touch the camera... he is more of a director/DOP and has a camera operator...

alot of these exposures are 3-10 second exposures.....
 
cant exactly move a fire hydrant for a day.......

Why not man? He shuts down streets a hires actors and spends all kinds of cash making fake snow and other stuff. (btw, I realize it would be stupid to actually ask to move a fire hydrant)

My point was that even with the lengths this dude goes to that he still decides to change stuff later and doesn't subscribe to the whole "If you change it digitally it's not a true photo" mentality. He could gel street lamps or whatever, but its just good to see that even he doesn't mind digital changes to something that he has worked so hard to produce. I like that he doesn't consider it any less art b/c he makes changes later.
 
Back
Top