GoPro Hero 3 mods?

TrueIndigo

Well-known member
I've often thought about getting a GoPro to make some shooting experiments, and came across a company called RageCams (www.ragecams.com) who perform lens mods for GoPro cameras -- either send your camera to them for a mod or they will mod a camera for you. This would answer one of the things that puts me off the most: a fixed wide angle lens. As a further suggestion, I emailed them the message below enquiring about the possibility of moding a GoPro for C-mount lenses.

"Dear RageCams, I'm very impressed with the lens mods you guys have for the GoPro cameras. Now that the video datarate is improving (with ProTune) and the performance taking a step up with the new camera series (Hero 3 capable of 2.7K and even 4K at 15 fps), I was thinking that these cameras may now get more attention beyond the extreme environment arena. Is it possible to mod a GoPro by replacing the fixed lens with a C-mount lens mount? This is a simple screw mount originally used for 16mm cine cameras and now often used for scientific and security cameras (the lens register distance is 17.526 mm). To convert a Hero 3 camera into an interchangeable lens camera, using this well-established lens mount with many lenses available would, I predict, be a very popular mod."
 
A c-mount lens mod might kill its weather proofing. But it would be awesome nonetheless, even more awesome if they could keep the weather proofing.
 
Dennis from RageCams got back to me: "actually we may be able to do that...I just need to get a hero3 in my hands." This is great news. I'm not sure how a lens mount could be fixed sufficiently strongly to the circuit board directly to support the weight of a lens, but maybe it could be fixed by cutting into the waterproof case to support it? With the Hero 2 you needed that case to fix the camera on a tripod anyway. Yes, the waterproofing would be destroyed, but I don't plan on using the camera that way. The only bad thing for me is it's a shame there is no manual exposure option -- presumably the same with the new camera? Be interesting to see how this works out.
 
I just stumbled across this thread. If there was a GoPro Hero3 professionally modded to accept C-mount lenses, what would that be worth to you? Or what do you think would be a fair price?
 
I just stumbled across this thread. If there was a GoPro Hero3 professionally modded to accept C-mount lenses, what would that be worth to you? Or what do you think would be a fair price?

Hi Illya,

What I'm looking for does not have to be "professionally" modded, but at a semi-professional level as it is more of an impulse buy for experimental purposes. I am willing to pay up to $200 to try it, which I assume is way below what a professional mod would cost.

Also, anyone know what the size of the Hero 3 Black sensor?

Thanks,

Mark
 
This is a great idea would be nice to have a faster lens for GoPro use at night!
 
I've Tweeted dogcamsports in the UK to see if they're interested in providing a custom GoPro. I'd like a GoPro with an F1.4... :thumbsup:
 
I have just finished my crash housing for the GoPro3 and if you use the GoPro3 Housing a + model will work just fine. When I shoot tv shows I will usually lose about 5 GoPros due to putting them in harms way to "get the shot" so I decided to design my own crash housing and have it made. Its not the cheapest but when the footage counts you need to protect that card. It has 1/4-20 and 3/8 mounts all around the sides and the bottom for mounting purposes. I just received my first batch and they are up for sale. Let me know if any of you are interested. They costs $229.00. CNC Machined with Black Anodizing. http://gripgear.tv/shop/the-heros-hero-gopro-crash-housing/ While you are there I just started a line of Grip Gear Hot Sauce. I have some C Mount lenses and would be interested in some moded GoPro 3 cameras.
 
Back
Top