GH2 Good patch for handheld, gig, lowlight gh2

I've read that gh2 can't use UHS-I and that with any of these cards the write rate is effectively halved which means that the sandisk ultra 30mbps are faster than my extreme 45mbps (22.5 effectively). Damn!

I know that UHS-I is not officially supported, but the GH2 does test better with UHS-I cards. I also know that the 176 Mbps patches work best with the Sandisk 95MB/sec SDXC UHS-I cards.

Last time I checked the Sandisk Ultra 30MB/sec cards have a minimum WRITE speed of only 10MB/sec, which is why they may fail with higher bit-rate patches.

Average rates according to lpowell are no higher than 50mbps.
The 100Mbps peak video modes in Flow Motion v2 can produce average bitrates of over 80Mbps when shooting sharp-focused, well-lit, high-contrast, extremely-detailed scenery. However, in 24H Turbo Mode, peak bitrate is boosted to 140Mbps and average bitrates will soar well over 100Mbps. In soft-focus, low-light, low-contrast, low-detail scenes, image quality will max out at average bitrates below 50Mbps. FM2's 100Mbps video modes will span reliably only on 64GB 95MB/sec Class 10 SD cards (except for NTSC 1080p30 HBR mode, which unfortunately does not span).

FM2's 60Mbps peak video modes will typically run at average birates around 30-50Mbps. The 60Mbps modes are designed for cramming long takes into inexpensive SD cards at the highest bitrates that will span reliably on Class 10 cards.

GH2 file-spanning is a temperamental mechanism that is highly sensitive to both peak bitrate and the total amount of data in each GOP. The short 3-frame GOP used in FM2's 1080p modes is what makes file-spanning possible at peak bitrates of 100Mbps (and 140Mbps in Turbo Mode) on the fastest available SD cards. In 720p modes, frame data size is half as large, and FM2's 6-frame GOP can likewise span reliably at peak bitrates of 100Mbps.

When using long-GOP patches on the GH2, peak bitrate must be set lower to support reliable file-spanning. All-Intra patches require high bitrates of over 150Mbps (to match FM2's I-frame quality levels), which are too high to support reliable file-spanning. That's one of the reasons why I chose to use a 3-frame GOP in Flow Motion v2.

Last edited:
I've read that gh2 can't use UHS-I and that with any of these cards the write rate is effectively halved which means that the sandisk ultra 30mbps are faster than my extreme 45mbps (22.5 effectively). Damn!

Definitely not. the sandisk ultra 30mbps are flipping rubbish. i bought a 32gb one and it bombs out with the 550d let alone hacked gh2.

Back