GL1, The Panasonic E-P1 Competitior

raymondluo

Well-known member
Frankly, I'm not happy with the GH1.

I've never held one in my hands, but for my own personal needs and wants the price never seems to justify the entire package, even if it's the only affordable vdslr solution with 60p.


Read this rumour about a compact MFT camera, and news of the 20mm pancake F1.7.

http://43rumors.com/ft3-panasonic-compact-microfourthirds-camera-to-be-announced-in-august/

http://43rumors.com/ft3-the-next-three-panasonic-microfourthirds-lenses/

Cool, then polly came along, cracked me wide up.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/e_p1/archives/51229143.html


Apparently, specifications translated off babelfish will be something like this

  • Almost same size as E-P1
  • New 12,000,000 pixel sensor
  • 20mm F1.7 lens
  • Attachable EVF
  • 720p @ 60/50p
  • There is no hand blurring revision inside the body

I didn't get the last feature but I would assume it's referring to image stabilization?

It's everything I'm looking for, and I expect it to be priced competitively alongside the E-P1. I cannot go any less crazy for this cam if it delivers the above and full manual controls for video.

Further down the page there's more sketchy talk (translated via babelfish) about this GL1 being an upgrade of the GH1, with better AVCHD implementation and 1080p60 and faster refreshment rate?

I would infer that it's talking about a future GH1 upgrade. This would make a lot more sense in product placing. (GL1 sitting just below the GH1) Although 1080p60 on the GH1 sounds kind of impossible in a firmware upgrade but I'm no engineer. A rewiring of AVCHD sounds great to me though.

In the link it also talks about the LX4, with a 1/1.3inch back-lit sensor. (As I just found out, LX3 is actually a great consumer camera which can actually shoot very decent 720p footage)

Check it, translated out yourself and see if you can scratch out more information-

This is a godsend. (BEER)
 
Frankly, I'm not happy with the GH1.

I've never held one in my hands, but for my own personal needs and wants the price never seems to justify the entire package, even if it's the only affordable vdslr solution with 60p.

Are you serious? This just doesn't make any sense.
 
Are you serious? This just doesn't make any sense.

I don't like it doesn't mean I think it's a bad camera. In fact it's just about one of the very few cameras I can consider.

I understand that a lot of dvxusers here are industry proffessionals and what not, but I'm someone who does not make films for a living, is without a ton of cash, but with an interest to get into filmmaking, needs to get a proof of talent for himself as a vote of self-confidence that he can do it and also wishes to spend his money wisely.

If the GL1 is priced along side the E-P1, but is almost just as capable as the GH1 then I can spend my money on other stuff like the Zoom H4n and other accessories like a DIY steadicam and squeeze in a macbook pro as well.

And heck, if the GH1 does get it's upgrades stated in the japanese site and by the time GL1 is out in stores the GH1 might be priced low enough for me to prefer that over the GL1 again.

My stance is simply that as long as I have not spent any money, I can make continually make adjustments to my 'road map' until I do throw down and say this are the hardware purchases I am going to make and build my skills with for the next 2 years or so. Other camera choices include the E-P1, Samsung NX10, or even the JVC HD7 and others but I'm avoiding camcorders cos' as a backup measure that if I do indeed fail in filmmaking at least I have a good camera that shoots stills.

Maybe i just phrased my intro post wrongly, but if it's too misleading i oughta just edit that away because it's deviating from the original intention of the post.
 
It's an LX3 killer maybe. GH1 killer? Well a quick look at the specs will tell you all you the answer. No.

There are a number of things that aren't there and I am sure they'll be in the GH2 before too long. In body stabilisation... particularly disappointing omission. 24p and of course 1080p. HDMI out. No tilting LCD.

The EVF add on is nice though - better than the EP-1 as it's a feed of what goes through the lens like on the GH1. And that 12-24 lens on the Japanese site's mock-up looks handy if it is indeed factual. Might buy it for the lens and sell the body :)

These are nice lenses especially the 30mm f1.4 OIS:

- 20mm f/1.7 (This is the only lens Panasonic has officially announced). This lens hasn’t be made in collaboration with Leica and should be released in autumn.

- 16-50mm f/2.5-4.8 OIS (summarit)

- 30mm f/1.4 OIS (summilux)
 
If you buy the E-P1 with the lens of the GH1 you pay more than for the GH1 bundle. It will be the same for the GL1. And even the GL1 comes out that doesn't mean the GH1 price will drop. The price of the G1 didn't drop much either, I would certainly not count on that.
 
raymondluo, you need to think about what you're saying. First you say you're not happy with the GH1, but you don't say why. Then you go on about this rumored camera that first of all is just a rumor and second is not as good as the GH1. At best it's an EP1 or LX3 killer. So if you're not happy with the GH1, why would you be happy with this rumored camera? If you're not going to be getting the camera for 6 months (and probably longer knowing how Panasonic releases cameras) why are you looking now? Wait until you're ready, then consider what is actually available at that time. All you're doing now is stirring up rumors and more speculation, and your "road map" is going to be all wrong.
 
I think you'll find that it's some CAD renderings of someone's idea of what a future generation Lumix might look like. They've been around for some time. I don't believe it's real, or will be real.

Cheers,
 
Back
Top