Give a new guy a chance?

Kevmo

Well-known member
Hi there fellow DVX Users, im kinda new around here (finally registered) and thought i would share a video or two.

Guess you can say I'm a newbie when it comes to videography and editing but I guess I'm improving/getting into it more now.

This short video is from Spring Break last year in Lake Havasu AZ. (PS. Believe this is NSFW)

Likes/Dislike/Advice/Constructive Criticism is WELCOME, thanks!



Spring Break 2009 in Lake Havasu, AZ. Copper Canyon, The Channel...

Camera: DVX100a
Edited w/: Sony Vegas 8 Pro
Render Settings: Sony AVC (.mp4/h.264) NTSC Widescreen (720x480) @ 29.97fps & 512k bps
Edited By: Me

Just about a month ago my DVX100a was stolen, so I'm currently renting/saving up for a Hpx170
 
Last edited:
Looks like a fun video for you and your friends to have to remember the trip. As far as criticism...the footage is pretty shaky and the color/exposure is quite inconsistent from shot to shot. Subject matter? I mean, again this feels more like something that will just be cool to have to remember your spring break, I'm not sure that it's a marketable project, and it probably won't really be compelling to anyone who's not in your social-group...unless you trim it down and focus on the girls taking off their tops...stick with that and you'll get people to watch...if that's the kind of work you'd like to do. There's obviously a market for it. And people will forgive just about every element of production if the subjects are topless, good-looking girls.
 
Looks like a fun video for you and your friends to have to remember the trip. As far as criticism...the footage is pretty shaky and the color/exposure is quite inconsistent from shot to shot. Subject matter? I mean, again this feels more like something that will just be cool to have to remember your spring break, I'm not sure that it's a marketable project, and it probably won't really be compelling to anyone who's not in your social-group...unless you trim it down and focus on the girls taking off their tops...stick with that and you'll get people to watch...if that's the kind of work you'd like to do. There's obviously a market for it. And people will forgive just about every element of production if the subjects are topless, good-looking girls.

Hahah yeah you basically summed it up. It was my first time shooting with the DVX and well I basically partaked in everything that you see on film thus resulting in shaky camera and not paying attention to lighting or basically anything lol

Also it was quite hard jumping boat to boat in copper canyon while being inebriated to hold a steady shot, but like you said its basically for my friends and I to look back on.

Thanks for the reply, so far there has been 60 views and only 1 comment :embarasse
 
Thanks for the reply, so far there has been 60 views and only 1 comment :embarasse

Don't be disapointed by that: at this moment there are 252 members and 999 guests visiting the site. And on any other moment most of the time the majority of viewers are not members as well. And guests can't comment.

I think the clip you showed us is indeed mainly for the people who were in it. But as a first time experience with the DVX it probably is a nice personal starting point. A few months ago I did someting like it: jumped into something with the camera without having ever used it before. I use those recordings as a reference point and I constantly learn new things. Then I look at the first recordings and say something like: then I didn't know about the slow pan rule in 24p, you can clearly see (painful laughter), but now I know (proud smile).

Good luck with the next one. And remember: avoid children, animals and boats. :grin:

(Comment on my own comment after readin it: I don't know if this clip actualy is your starting point of course. I just asume it could be as you wrote that you just got the camera and started filming with it...)

Jasper
 
Last edited:
(Comment on my own comment after readin it: I don't know if this clip actualy is your starting point of course. I just asume it could be as you wrote that you just got the camera and started filming with it...)

Jasper

Thanks Jasper for the reply, and yeah I guess a lot of people were like me just checking on the forum from time to time and not being able to post.

Anyways thanks for the incite and basically you spelled out the video. A reference for my friends of our drunk adventure during spring Break in Lake Havasu. Which reminds me that I'm going back in 6 weeks :beer::beer:

So basically it was my first time out with a prosumer camera +first time trying to edit something legit in Sony Vegas 8 Pro. I like that people commented on what i should correct/limit/keep consistent and that basically what I was looking for. I'm a novice at best just looking to have fun with short clips from my travels.

Thanks

-Kevin
 
If you learn from what you have done (are doing) -wich you will, I'm sure- you clips will start appealing to a broader audience. Maybe you're next subgoal should be: make something like the previous one in a way that some ten years older stranger will think "man, that looks awesome. I would like to have been there" (instead of now: it looks like they had al lot of fun).

Keep going! Next clip in six weeks plus editing time? :)
 
I'm just jealous that the chicks you hang out with seem to so freely disrobe...I hang out with an awful lot of good looking girls but none of them seem quite as free as your peeps. Damn.
 
If you learn from what you have done (are doing) -wich you will, I'm sure- you clips will start appealing to a broader audience. Maybe you're next subgoal should be: make something like the previous one in a way that some ten years older stranger will think "man, that looks awesome. I would like to have been there" (instead of now: it looks like they had al lot of fun).

Keep going! Next clip in six weeks plus editing time? :)
Yeah next time I'm going to try and make the vid into a more broad view of the trip and not just for my/friends eye. I guess create a scrip, screen play or get different shots mixed in more then just beer bongs and tits lol

Yeah Im headed back to Havasu in March for 5 days for Spring Break and then jump on the edit train.


I'm just jealous that the chicks you hang out with seem to so freely disrobe...I hang out with an awful lot of good looking girls but none of them seem quite as free as your peeps. Damn.

Hot Weather + Warm Water + LOTS of Alcohol tends to do that
 
Back
Top