HDSLR: GH6 Using video clips with CapCut editing software

It was 2013 when I got that Mac at work, so that's probably relatively modern. For my last job as a video producer/engineer (March 2021 to Dec. 2022), I worked on Windows. However, there were Macs all around me and I did use them occasionally to move a file. One of them (an older Mac Pro) was dead and we wanted to get it working. So I took it to an Apple store and had to wait 3+ hours to see someone... who then told me that the computer was too old for them to work on. They could offer me no options for repair. I was not impressed.

I'm officially retired since the end of 2022, but I still freelance on video projects and writing. I have an article in the January 2024 issue of TV Technology magazine: Production Switchers Gain Tactile Flexibility
 
Such a 90s move...walking into a store and expecting swift and decent human help (and compassion!). :Drogar-Laugh(LBG):

One needs to check online at Apple for any repairs, and there's a drop-down menu for supported models (could also chat with someone).

They also have this note (along with other information):

"Apple discontinues all hardware service for obsolete products, and service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products."

___

Just needed to add that because it's important information to know when reading a story like above.

In general, it's common for companies to not have parts for more complicated pieces of technology, like computers and cameras, after a while.

Apple provides you 7 years to fix something, so that Mac Pro must have been older than that and one just can't expect support after so long because things get so old and irrelevant in society that the smaller facilities that once made some random parts for tech could literally even no longer exist.
 
Such a 90s move...walking into a store and expecting swift and decent human help (and compassion!). :Drogar-Laugh(LBG):
"Apple discontinues all hardware service for obsolete products, and service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products."
___

Just needed to add that because it's important information to know when reading a story like above.

In general, it's common for companies to not have parts for more complicated pieces of technology, like computers and cameras, after a while.

Yes, I was given that line and understand that products age and fall off the "supported" list. This Apple Mac was the brains of a video archive system we had (I was a contract video producer at a federal agency), and I got the archive hardware working. But the Mac Pro was the key to operating the archive system and it was dead. And stayed dead. And my boss continued to lean on me to do something about it. I got a quote from a local service shop, but our eyes watered at the cost and the fact that getting the Mac Pro working was not assured. We all grumbled and gave up, and somehow it was my fault. It was a situation that made it unlikely to endear me to Macs.

I just want to mention that CapCut is pretty good free editing software (available for Windows and Mac) that works with video from the GH5 and GH6. :laugh:
 
If you're owned by TikTok (its parent) and have more video creation on a daily basis than everyone else on earth (besides maybe Google), you better be good...:grin:
 
CapCut is a powerful free video editing software available for Mac, Windows, and mobile, handling high data rate videos impressively well. It supports 5.7K and 10-bit 4:2:2 4K footage at various bitrates, including 600Mbps at 60fps. A notable feature is its flexibility with frame rates; you can choose your output frame rate at render time, unlike DaVinci Resolve, which locks you into your initial choice. However, CapCut does have limitations, such as lacking support for 29.97fps output. It offers resolutions up to 4K and supports H.264, H.265, .mov, and .mp4 formats. Additionally, if you use an ical CapCut template, it adds to the ease of creating projects. For those seeking a user-friendly alternative to more complex software, CapCut is worth exploring.
 
I have only had a STudio Max for 2 years and then got an M2 iPad Pro. Up to that point all Windows and Android in the house. 6 PC and two Android phones. I have made my own PC's since the early 1980's so not an expert on Windows but not just a user. Studio Max only used for Resolve , Affinity Photo 2, and TopAz Ai. Editing PC is Threadripper 1920 ( old ) with same software that looks and works exactly the same on both systems sharing the same monitor. The Studio Max can decode the 10 bit 4:2:2 files from my GH5S and GH6 that the PC has difficulty with. However the 4070Ti in the PC is more powerful than the M1 in the Studio Max so depends what is on the timeline as to which is the faster to render. Very often edit on the Studio Max and final render on the PC so that I can then use TMPGenc MW7 encoder to get final files for mp4, DVD or Bluray. Authoring programs are also on the PC . Combination works well but as far as use to me they are the same, as these two machines do not do anythings else but edit. I have come to like the iPad but since we are all Windows and Android most all the Apple features like iCloud etc are turned off and Chrome installed. I like to Airplay to my Sony TV ( most used feature on the iPad especially since I also have Resolve for the iPad). Its quick to grab and check mail , my Google calendar etc too. Browser are Chrome of course not Safari !!

So both Apple products are integrating well into my Windows/ Android system rather than the other way around !! I still find some things confusing on the Mac compared to Windows, still learning. Simple things things like seeing the speed of a copy from one place to another. As to stability no difference.

I have another PC to do mail browse etc ( used to be an editing PC many years ago !! ) Whatever the OS, they are just computing machines. Its the software that makes the difference. Use the OS that has the software you want to use. Nothing wrong with having Mac, Windows and Unix machines.
 
CapCut is a powerful free video editing tool that's surprisingly capable, handling high-data-rate footage from cameras like the GH6 without issue. It allows flexible frame rate choices during export, which is a refreshing feature compared to some other software like DaVinci Resolve. However, it doesn’t support rendering at 29.97fps, sticking to round-number frame rates like 24, 25, 30, 50, and 60. For those looking for a user-friendly and feature-rich editor, CapCut is worth checking out, and you can explore helpful templates at this link.
 
Back
Top