GH5 GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Hi all,

Anyone got a good workflow for using Alex’s amazing LUTs in FCPX, thinking mainly about the diffusion filtering - can’t seem to replicate that in FCPX

Rich

I've yet to explore that for FCPX, but the guide is incoming. You'll likely want to speak with Jan Sandvik, who uses the technique in FCPX (though with his own settings). The Opacity is likely 20%; the exact blur is particular to the NLE (though the raw Olpf side-by-side footage with the Alexa is available to dial it in).

Here are the current instructions I've been listing for FCPX:

- If WB needs correction, (before everything else) use the temp/tint controls in the Color Wheels in conjunction with the Vectorscope. Avoid the Basic WB eyedropper (more than just WB).
- The, if you are shooting to VLog, you only need one Custom LUT Utility (listed under FCPX effects), with Main, Soft, or Linear loaded. For HLG or Cine-D, use 2 Custom Lut Utilities, with the Pre first (if HLG or Cine-D), and GHa second. *Avoid the MotionFX mLut plug-in* (incorrect color with Pre combo)
- After those, place the luma with your preferred luma tools in FCPX.
- The same basic principles and order of operation in Resolve and Premiere apply to FCPX

Hi Tom, agreed.

The diffusion aspect of the workflow is applying a blur filter on a node within Resolve - which trying the built in filters within FCPX I can’t replicate the same result.

Back