GH1 review by Camcorderinfo

Heh, that's a clever test. I've been thinking about how to set something like that up in order to get to understand some aspects of the GH1's workings, but my ideas were rather more crude (involving a tennis ball on the end of a piece of string working like a pendulum, with a line of chess pieces on a table in front of it to assess DOF).
 
Have you tried the dof preview button? and shutter speed preview? This is why live hdmi or component would of been nice.
 
Where is the link to the actual review? I can't find it on their site.

A site like CamcorderInfo.com who have been reviewing consumer handycams for years will likely have a heart attack when they get their mits on a GH1!!
 
No Heart Attack, they have reviewed prosumer cams for years also.

The 500D scored very poorly in their low light tests, hopefully the 60D won't suffer from that lame low light handicap!
 
The 500D is a rubbish camera in my opinion. Not the same league for video as the GH1. Cheapo construction. Poor video mode. Cheap price. In raw mode the GH1 even gives you better stills with similar high ISO performance. So why people still rate Canon's consumer efforts is beyond me.

Their review of the D5000 was more positive for low light performance.

What I have found with this new breed of video 'DSLR', GH1 included, is that with the kit lens at F4 the camera is not as bright as some consumer grade camcorders like the HF100 but has much greater dynamic range, better colour and less noise & compression artefacts. Much higher detail.

In order to get a bright low light picture you need to mate these DSLRs with a fast lens.

The GH1 with a £50 50mm F1.4 gives you astounding low light performance, and also allows you to drop the ISO dramatically, giving you even less noise and even more detail.

I don't think these websites have really scratched the surface of what's possible. Maybe they need to hire some enthusiasts from DVXuser :)
 
Where is the link to the actual review? I can't find it on their site.

A site like CamcorderInfo.com who have been reviewing consumer handycams for years will likely have a heart attack when they get their mits on a GH1!!

They've actually reviewed some higher end models in the semi-pro arena too. So they're not just limited to consumer equipment. I've also found some of their reviews leave you scratching your head...particularly when you've owned the equipment they're reviewing. I suspect this one will be no different.
 
Back
Top