getting darks dark without grain

totesdope

New member
Hi guys, I am filming a backprojected piece of plexiglass in complete darkness.
My camera is the dvx b. However no matter what I try, I always seem to get grain in my image. Gain is off, details is at the lowest setting, vertical detail as well and so is detail coring. Does any one have experience getting really smooth dark shots out of this camera, or am I running into an inherent flaw of the ccd sensor.
Or maybe anyone tackle this in finalcut? Just really any ideas would be really useful.
Thanks so much.
 
You're going to need more light. That's what it comes down to.

You can achieve great dark shots with this camera, but it takes light. Sounds ironic, but it's true.

Whatever is projecting through the plexiglass with have to brighten up to rid the noise caused by the lack of any light whatsoever.

-brown
 
das right.

your camera cant process an image that is underlit. now it is different if you were to blast light , perhaps back light that plexiglass, and then step your camera down. This will create a sharper darker image with less noise.
 
ok, that sounds logical. Give the camera more light and then step down.


But I am running into a problem.
My setup is fairly simple.
One projector blasting an image to a piece of plexiglass in the middle of completely dark room.
Camera is taking in the image from the opposite side(backlight0

If I were to light the room it would destroy the contrast of the projected image and any intriguing dynamic range the image might enjoy in complete darkness.
I have access to an HVX, maybe shooting in dvcpro50or hd or another 4:2:2 would help? I have no clue.
Any suggestions?
 
Yeah, it would help. But this is totally acomplishable (is that a word?) with your current setup. You just need to get creative.

Blast the light at the plexiglass, flag off whatever light spills over (or grab a black sheet), or even get back to your oldschool days and "build a fort". Think a large barndoor on the light (projecter) that only allows the light to go exactly where you want it. Like a spotlight.

Bingo bango... keep playing around with stuff, and it'll work.

-brown
 
thanks for the advice.
Ill play around abit tomorrow and hopefully come to something great.
Ill post results if it turns out fantastically amazing.
Thanks again.
Alex
 
I think coring should be up...opposite of detail level

Yes! Detail down, Coring UP, no gain. Try it out, it might do the trick.

If you can do that, and have enough light to stop down to F2.8, you should have a pretty nice image.

What gamma curve are you using?
 
Back
Top