FS700 Out In The Elements for Adventure/Travel Show?

Sheldon Charron

Well-known member
I haven't been able to find much about the weather sealing (if any) on this camera, or how it will cope with light rain, damp conditions, coastal conditions (humidity, salt water mist), dust and cold. How would this camera fair for an adventure/travel show that would be filmed on land and sea?
 
This camera has no weather sealing at all !!!!

So far, no E-mount lens, or e-mount body has any form of weather proofing, so you must take some steps to make sure no dampness gets on the camera or lens. Here in the 3rd world, clear plastic garbage bags are cheap and plentiful, which is what I use often for all my gear. In the first world, you probably have many better options - lol - and should use them!

The good news is that if you have to change lenses, the FS700 has a glass cover in front of the ND filters, so any dust is stopped there, and does not cast the same image ruining shadow dots on the sensor as it would on the FS100 or EA50 where the particles actually land directly on the anti-alias filter of the sensor. This is really important when you don't want dark blotches in the sky at smaller apertures.
 
Here in the tropics, I (now) store my cameras and lenses in a room which is dehumidified all the time. Before I did this, I had both Sigma and Nikon lenses gather fungus damage. Amazingly, in the same time period, under the same conditions, Canon lenses did not get any damage at all. I can not say if this was just luck, or if Canon are better at resisting molds and fungus. Since I've owned Sony, I've always used the dehumidifier, so I can not comment on them.

Outside of this, I do not take any special care of the equipment besides making sure that rain or wind driven sea spray (lots of salt in that) is not falling on the cameras when I work outside, usually with my famous clear garbage bags. So far, so good...
 
I have had my FS100 for nearly two years now, have shot in; dusty (Kasmir in dry season), wet (Bangladesh in monsoon season), cold (Carpathian Mountains in December @ -27 before windchill) and it has never dropped a beat once, ever, never...

It seems to be alot stronger than the fisher-price toy feel would have you belive... that said i do take reasonable care of my tools, and use a Kata cover when needed

As long as you take the same care as you would for say a Arri SR, you should be fine... but i would not place it where go-pro's belong

d
 
+1 to Dermot. I lived "aboardship" for 4 years with an Ex1 and MacBook. You'd never know either lived 3 feet below the briny north atlantic. I actually did not use garbage bags except during wet moments. I used zip up insulated soft sided beer coolers. PLastic bags seem to be too high humidity an environment. You want some air to vent the camera
just not much sea air - the trick with any valuable device for quite some time has been to wrap it in a cloth - I used a 3x3 piece of grid cloth diffusion. and then just put it in the beer cooler. One more thing Rice. put a bag of ice in the camera bag pop a few holes in it and put into a stocking or an old sock. Best dessicant ever is 16 oz of rice.
 
Back
Top