FS700 for wildlife filmmaking : a subjective review

So... This is going to be my personal review of the not quite so new Sony FS700.
Numerous reviews have been made since its original release in 2012. I am not going to repeat what others said about this lovely camera. This review will put the Sony in perspective for potential wildlife filmmaking. This has been my choice when I started production for a 4X52' nature serie almost ayear back.
Now, being on the verge to release the first volume, I felt it might be helpful to others to share my thoughts.


But really, I don't pretend this cam to be THE professional choice... at all... Many established pros found the raw workflow with RED ONE / EPIC / SCARLET to be the best choice in Super35 sized sensor. Others found this format was not workable for wildlife because of data management, shallow DOF and long lenses reach, so they choosed 2/3 sensor with still lenses and/ or B4 lenses. After all, it is all very subjective.


So far for me, why super35 ? Shallow DOF, creamy bokeh, the ability to make your subject instantly pop-up was my main priority. I knew it was going to be painful though with focus tracking, and long lenses options. And really, focus is challenging (especially when you work both on Nikon and Canon lenses, it drives you nuts)


But, I questioned myself : AVCHD ? Why the hell Sony decided to put such an apparently « weak » codec in such a gorgeous package? That was my initial thoughts. If I can share with you something that I find now important... When you shoot everyday for a year on a single 52min doc, you end up with 100h of rush, or at least that is what happened to me. I've heard stories of wildlife film makers ending up with 120TB of raw data fora 52min.
For my project, I got a little 1TB AVCHD files. This is cost effective really, and easy to backup and edit... But well, I am not talking about grading...
Now, for the quality... I think images are gorgeous. It is 8bit, yes. But my naked eyes see lovely dynamic range (cinegammas 4!), superb color rendition, 50p motion clarity, smooth highlight roll off, extreme low light sensivity with low noise up to ISO 3200.
Here is an example of a sequence mainlyshot between ISO 1600, ISO 3200 and ISO 6400 (except for the landscapes introduction which was ISO 640) This is about the Kagu, an endangered flightless bird in New Caledonia.
https://vimeo.com/68891562


Many broadcast channels are OK with the FS700 picture quality. Stock footage websites gladly take it too. I have not had any problems to sell my stuff because of the codec. The thing is, a good sensor, with AVCHD on board coupled with Cinegammas is something well thought for quality / size ratio. I think this is the most cost effective codec on the market. Just grab a cheap 32gbSD and you good to go.
Now the real cons for me with this codec are the following : don't push up too badly the postprocessing, you have some nice little cosy room to grade, but depending on the look you want to achieve, noise starts to appear and footage can fall apart in some situations...
Also, there is that 8 bit banding. I film alot of birds in extreme contrast situations (+90° tilt anglein the canopy) and despite the nice roll off between shadows and highlights, banding shows up quite often with fine detailed subjects(feathers, branches etc...) This is an ugly thing. I simply avoid these situations now. It is not making my life easier, depending onwhich birds I am filming (some of them just like to be high in the trees, I have to find sweet spots to lower my tilt angle and avoid high contrast)
Apart from that, yes the codec islimited with color grading, but it is not that bad.
You are just a little more cautious when shooting. Every shoot needs to be extremly well lit (and consistently). I wished Sony would have done something more realistic concerning that upgrade. Just an SLOG2 10bit out on ext. recorder and this camera would have been fabulous... But this is another topic...


Super slow motion now. That was one ofthe reason I choosed this cam. Like most people I guess. Of course, I use slow motion alot... But not from what I thought it would be worth in the first place... I filmed lizards, birds, and small mamals in 240fps. At the end of the day, when I look at all my SSM stuff, I realize it is hard to shoot in that mode properly. I shot this doco in rainforests with low ambiant light ; at f/2,8 I can barely get a 1/215[SUP]th[/SUP] shutter speed, and at this shutter, motion clarity is not good... I found I needed at least a shutter of 1/600[SUP]th[/SUP]with an aperture of f/8 to get decent DOF and detailed motion. I can't afford to put 2K HMI's in the forest like... well, like Peter Jackson did for Lord of the rings ;)
In fact, SSM helped me shooting landscapes and plants especially. The thing is this frame rate (when played back in 24p) cancels all vibrations, so I can shoot handeld beautiful travelings over plants and other little flowers... If you are cautious, your camera moves can really be nice.
I won't debate too much on picture qual at high frame rates. 240Fps shows less details, more aliasing, more noise. But at the end of the day, it is still beautiful, here is an example of SSM handeld traveling over a ferntree.
https://vimeo.com/68891564


The real deal with the high frame ratesis the fonction : END TRIGGER. Animals are not talents. You don't know when they are going to move, when they are going to do something interesting etc. The function END TRIGGER is a godsend because the camera continuously buffs, and this allow you to wait the behavior you are looking for in super slow motion. When the animal does something interesting, you just have to push REC, and what you were exactly looking for has been now recorded. With RED, I think you don't have this option...
Super slow motion leads you to another important thing in wildlife film making, as to know battery life...With the FS700, you need 2 batteries for a whole day of shooting with plenty of slow motion. Another cost effective strategy. REDs are known to be nasty power suckers with expensive proprietary redvolts.


Now, ergonomics...
This is something that has been debated over and over. This black box looks awkward at first glance. In fact,I am a huge fan of it;) Once you get used to it, you understand how powerful and modular this cam can be. Every left pannel buttons canbe assigned to whatever you like (zebras, peaking, markers, ISO, WB,last scene etc), controls begin to feel more natural. I use a Kinoteknic EVF for focusing with FS700 internal peaking and thatcannot be better. There is no latency and resolution is plenty enough to focus accurately. Also the side hand grip which allows you to control REC button and expended focus is sooo handy when properly relocated (close to your tripod pan bar is a must). No ergonomic fiasco at all. It is just very well designed. It allows you to be fast and instinctive in the field.

P1020081 copie.JPGP1020093.jpgP1020084 copie.jpg


Now, what are the options with telephotos ? I personnaly work with beautiful Nikon 50 300 f4.5 and hefty Canon 400mm 2.8 (with TC X1.4 or X2) Max reach will be 800mm at 5.6. This is plenty... at least for me. Next problem is weight... At longest lens settings, my set up weights 15kg. Not very mobile, this is the real trade off perhaps. Or... as Sabsayachi Patra says, just hire Arnold Schwarzenegger for a day or two in order to relax / and or just go to some serious gym sessions before breaking your back...At least the full set up fits in my backpack for some sympathic if not painful daywalks...


Of course I have not been commisionned by Sony to write this. This is the sum of some 10 months field experience in rough conditions (did I mention the camera is pretty resistant to water drops and dirt etc..?) and the final thoughts ofan (almost) happy custommer (Sony if you're listining, give us 10bits over HDSDI please...)


Hope you enjoyed reading,


Alan
 
Last edited:
Nice. One question... How do you possibly get no latency through the viewfinder. I thought that was a function of any EVF through SDI out...
Very nice post and beautiful footage. Man would I like a non clunky 4K solution for my cam as I do a lot of nature videography.
 
Nice. One question... How do you possibly get no latency through the viewfinder. I thought that was a function of any EVF through SDI out...
Very nice post and beautiful footage. Man would I like a non clunky 4K solution for my cam as I do a lot of nature videography.

Exactly my question as well. There's a latency in both SDI and HDMI that's confirmed by Sony themselves. One of my biggest gripes about the camera...
 
Hi, thanks for your comments. There is some latency, but it really depends on the EVF too. The Kinoteknic has very little delay compare to lets say the Alphatron. Even with fast moving subjects like small birds, I can follow whats happening without any trouble. Latency should be less than a fraction of second, which for birds is crucial ;)
 
great post! thank you for taking your time, Alan!

and one more thanks for your comment to my vimeo page! :)

freiheit
 
Very nice Alan, thank you. Great post indeed. With your experience I'm interested in hearing your take on the internal ND filters vs a third party with a matte box. Do you think with the higher frame rates we may be better off with higher quality ND's instead? Could that be cause of some moire? Thanks

Best,
Anthony
 
Really great post, i enjoyed reading that quite a bit. I never thought of relocating the hand grip to the back of the rails! That could come in handy.
 
Thanks for your appreciative comments, it is nice to share after almost a year stucked in moss and humidity;)
@Marino, I have no clue about the ND filters. I only used a matte box for filming crows. The reason for this had nothing to do with flares and or quality of the filters. Crows usually sees front lens element as a big cyclope eye, and they freak up ;) with a matte box, you can hide the lens behind some gelat filters. But I disgress... I can't really comment about moire and that stuff...
But for those interested in this rather clever bird, New Caledonian crow is the only non human living who's crafting his own tools to catch his food. Here is a 1080p upload of some preliminary edit : http://youtu.be/wABXw2Dk8IM

As we talk about filters, I have found something interesting that I want to share. This documentary is about South Pacific New Caledonian rainforests, primarly focused on fauna / flora, but I do have some inserts on native tribal people sharing their (rather mystical) knowledge about this fauna / flora. I had to find a way to visually harmonize these portraits. So far, I choosed to film portraits with a Nikon 50mm 1.8. Of course this lens gives me nice shallow DOF. The first portrait I made was of an old men who took us deep in the forest in a run and gun situation. Suddenly, he stopped near some particular tree and started to talk about traditionnal medicine. I had to push REC before I could check if my camera set up was how I wanted it to be... At this time, I did not see the 50mm Nikkor had a circular polarizer on it... I realized that in the middle of the rush...
Later on back at home, I found the image very pleasing. Since then I only filmed my portraits with the polarizer on it. Not sure what it does, but I found the skin tones to be lovely, light seems to be so gentle, and overall color rendition with cinegammas 4 is outstanding. What did you guys found best for portraits in natural light?
https://vimeo.com/68926676

@Freiheit, I wished my comments on your vimeo page were a bit more positive about the 4k2k upgrade... I really hope you will be able to test the Sony Raw recorder for 4K acquisition very soon! Apparently in 4k, it is tricky to focus. The good news maybe is the FS is the sharpest of all 4K cameras right now. But if we struggle to focus in fast paced action environnement, that is really a dealbreaker (without thinking about price, medias, and physical size of that upgrade.) Fingers crossed anyway ;) exciting times.
 
Very nice Alan. I have trouble telling how exactly the crow is creating its tools -- is it breaking off the twigs to build something? That said, I much prefer the footage in its current state to the usual narrated documentary that tells you exactly what you're supposed to see. I suspect you could edit the footage to make the action a bit more explicit.

And I can't tell you how very, very refreshing it is to hear natural ambient sounds on vimeo, let alone such richly textured ones. For the seemingly in-sync portions, how kind of mic did you use to capture the faraway sounds?
 
Hey Aly, glad you like ambiant soundscapes better than music with a narrative voiceover ;) it is 80% on location sound and the last bit is foley. Mics being used are the FS700 stock shotgun for most of crow calls, the rest is stereo background picked up with a Sanken CSS-5 plugged into a sound devices 702. Foley is the Sanken CsS-5 too, but in mono mode (this fantastic mic has 3 modes : wide stereo up to 120°, normal stereo, and a mono cardioid mode, similar to Sanken CS3e.)
I agree with you footage needs to be more explicit at this point. I have important non edited footage yet to be cut and placed wisely in the existing sequence you saw. I really hope to finish with a 100% sure easy to understand sequence without narrative voice. Unfortunally, I will have to write something, as everything is not that obvious in their behavior, without prior knowledge.
That being said, this crow cuts the twigs, take off the leaves, and shape a hook to dig into holes in search of some special worms. That particular skills are known to be "cultural" as parents "teach" the juveniles the way to shape tools. What you see mainly in this sequence is the apprenticeship of the young crow. He is begging the adult for some food but does not get any attention... He has to learn by seeing carefully how the adult manage to "hunt".
 
Thank you for such a detailed response. Your work is beautiful and I'm proud to own the same camera. It truly is versatile tool. I'm using it for run and gun doc work and your shooting mother nature, not many cameras we can say do that effectively with such beautiful images. Thanks again for your insight Alan

Best,
Anthony Marino
 
Last edited:
Back
Top