OTHER: Free Mac ScreenWriting Software

Software is the last thing that matters.

My 2 c.
I rather edit with FCP than with MAGIX movie edit "pro".
Software matters.
Hardware matters.
Content matters.
My 2c.

@twocik23: celtx really is a big help and it´s free - what more can you ask for :thumbsup:
 
Hi guys,

I can understand where karapetkov is coming from, but it does help with being a little more organized. :) I think my grammar is going to be my demon, everything else I got in the bag.



"I rather edit with FCP than with MAGIX movie edit "pro".
Software matters.
Hardware matters.
Content matters."



Agreed! :beer:
 
I think you were asking about Celtx? I'm using it on a short film and two features. This latest update improves the breakdown process, which is a nice toolset to have integrated.

I've been using the app. for a couple of years now and I'm totally sold on it. You can't beat the price. The online collaboration is kind of cool, although I've had some people (who are mostly lazy hack writers) say they can't figure out how to get the scripts off of the Celtx server. Did I mention that they're lazy? Anyway, it is very easy to upload and make revisions to scripts in collaborative writing situations.

I was on MM Screenwriter before this and was nickled and dimed to death. It was also difficult to figure out who owned MM for a long time and some of their products seem to come and go. During one such change of ownership, they lost my records. When I called in to update my installation key (you only get three installs), they made me buy the whole thing over again.

Never used the Final Draft, but I know some people who swear by it.

e
 
Never used the Final Draft, but I know some people who swear by it.

There is something to be said for industry standards, and Final Draft is it. If you can afford it, then I wouldn't recommend anything else.

There is also something to be said for open source, and celtx is as good as it gets for free. I've tried it out before and the free breakdown tools are a HUGE selling point for the software. Plus it's easy to use and for indie films where sharing files is less important, then you don't need the ubiquity or collaboration tools of Final Draft.
 
Never used the Final Draft, but I know some people who swear by it.

e

And many swear at it. Yeah, it's regarded as something of a standard, but as always, things change. I think there's a lot more variety and choice these days, and unless the FD folks wake up and become competitive, they'll be gone... and good riddance.
 
Hi,

I use Celtx and like it a lot, easy and free. What's not to like?

Celtx rocks... but the PDF export is a major let down. The file gets formatted improperly and lines of dialogue carry on to the next page without a proper heading ( Like this: DON (CONT'D) )

It makes for a really tough read on paper and needs to be fixed as soon as possible. It's been the cause of many many headaches for me.

Kyle
 
Hi,

I use Celtx and like it a lot, easy and free. What's not to like?

I'm having an issue with Celtx. I just finished my last Short Film (Scriptwriter used Celtx - and it was a great experience) and I'm planning the next one. With my next short, I need to write it in Chinese. Simply because the story talks of a real Chinese Teenager who was imprisoned, and his experiences. I wanted to retell that because it seemed like a rather interesting tale. When I view my script in PDF, the Chinese Characters do not appear.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Or another Software that would work Properly with the Chinese Language?

Thanks!
Calvin
 
I'm having an issue with Celtx. I just finished my last Short Film (Scriptwriter used Celtx - and it was a great experience) and I'm planning the next one. With my next short, I need to write it in Chinese. Simply because the story talks of a real Chinese Teenager who was imprisoned, and his experiences. I wanted to retell that because it seemed like a rather interesting tale. When I view my script in PDF, the Chinese Characters do not appear.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Or another Software that would work Properly with the Chinese Language?

Thanks!
Calvin

Well, you really should post that to the Q&A section on the http://forums.celtx.com/ site. The way one gets an 'official' PDF is to go through the online Celtx PDF generator engine. I don't know if there's a problem with Chinese or not.

You could also try printing locally, and using a PDF printer engine. I use a Mac, and that is part of the standard printer package. On windows machines you may need to get a 'PDF' widget to integrate into the printer utility.
 
Back
Top