FOSTEX DC-R302 3ch mixer/ SD recorder

Just got my FOSTEX DC-R302 3ch mixer/ SD recorder through a Long & Mcquade music store here in Canada, I payed $999.00 CDN.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/DC-R302.shtml


My first impression is that it is smaller and lighter in weight than I expected.

Tried to order the SC-302 carry case,
http://www.fostexint...s/DC-R302.shtml
but it's not available in Canada yet.

There is a 10 page "quick start guide" included that got me up and running, the guide says, on the first page " For the more detailed info see the Owners manual that can be downloaded from the Fostex website"...but could not find it anywhere!
http://www.fostexint...t/manuals.shtml

The only downside I see at this point is the doubious 1/8" mic out, and that is prolly fine for indoor stationary aplications.

For XLR output I picked up a ART dual passive direct box ( a RCA line to mic level converter box) to use for run - n- gun activity
and a 10' Yorkville stereo 1/8" to 2 X male XLR cable, this option may be doubious for run-n-gun.

Started mucking about with my DC-R302, I recorded myself playing percussion with my Rode NT-4 stereo mic and created 4 wav. files at 48K ,16Bit .

First thing I noticed was that on playback there is a nasty, very bright, rapidly flickering green LED next to the LCD.

It recorded "scenes 1,2,3 & 4 in Folder (oo1)" , it was easy, and they all sound great,
but when I wanted to delete them..........I could not for the life of me figure how to.

There is absolutely no info in the "quick start guide" about files, scenes, folder editing or deleting etc !!!

Pressed every combo of the tiny front panel buttons with no luck, once I saw a new folder option, but I could not get into any other editing options.

YIKES !


I emailed the Canadian distributor for fostex about the DC-R302 not having a owner's manual available.

Their prompt response:

"It doesn't seem like the manual has been uploaded yet. I have sent a message to Japan and are awaiting their reply.

I have asked them if an advance copy can be sent to us. If possible, I'll be glad to forward it to you ASAP. "


​
Tried usb to my puter, but nothing.

It's a drag not to have the elusive Owner's manual, hopefully this will get sorted out soon.:thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I was very interested in it but been waiting too much. I think I will go with the sound devices mixpre-d and a small recorder. If ever you have some sound sample I think it would interest many here.
 
Sent an email to Fostex Japan late last night regarding the current
unavailability of the DC-R302 Owner's manual download, and got a prompt response from the sales mgr. with an apology.
Apparently they are still working on it:huh: and I am the first person it North America to purchase one.:)

The sales mgr. answered a bunch of questions that I had about operations, sent me a firmware update so now I am excited and very pleased with my DC-R302.:thumbup:

If anyone here has any questions about this device, let me know and I'll get the sales mgr to answer them.
 
I would like to say that the Fostex Rep. was prompt and very helpful answering about a dozen questions that I had about the operation of the device.



With the info on the operations and the firmware update I feel confident that I can take into the field and use it.


Deleting files was no problem with the update.:smile:
 
Last edited:
Vertical Invader: Can I ask you what were the key reasons you bought this vs. other similar devices?
 
OK.... price, size, functionality, and mainly the potential of the USB port for future firmware upgrades.

I see it as an professional all-in-one device that will literally fit in your coat pocket.

Been using it just to test it out, the pre-amps sound great and the signal to noise ratio using my Rode mics and Samson lavs is very good as well.

I has a cool feature that enables you to record a tone slate at the begining and end of every take.

I'm delighted with the unit so far.

Still no owners manual download from Fostex.
 
Last edited:
Vertical Invader: Can I ask you what were the key reasons you bought this vs. other similar devices?
Who else makes a 3x2 field mixer with a 2 track recorder built into it?
Also has a mono mic output, can send wireless to cam if desired.
Or mount cam on the unit itself, connect breakaway cables from mixer.
Can also be used as 2 track recorder behind a mixer in bag.
 
Thanks guys. I agree it's a pretty unique device.

So the H4n or the DR-40 both with 4 tracks doesn't have a mixer and therefore is less capable?

I was thinking about an H4n or a DR-40 for a 4-track podcast recorder as well as using it with my GH2 as an external audio recorder but I'm wondering now if the Fostex is a better device for that dual use.

(Sorry, I'm an audio newb...)
 
Thanks guys. I agree it's a pretty unique device.

So the H4n or the DR-40 both with 4 tracks doesn't have a mixer and therefore is less capable?

I was thinking about an H4n or a DR-40 for a 4-track podcast recorder as well as using it with my GH2 as an external audio recorder but I'm wondering now if the Fostex is a better device for that dual use.

(Sorry, I'm an audio newb...)


The Fostex is in a whole other league compared to those devices.
 
I bought a H4N to record location sound foe a low-budget TV trailer.
I thought it sounded terrible, noisy pre-amps, hardly any gain, I also had a nightmare in post trying to sync up long 10:00 min. plus takes.
because the clock is not accurate i. e. it may start at 48KHz but can drift to say 49.6KHz by the end of 10 mins of recording.
Even using Plural Eyes in post it was problematic with 10 min. or longer takes of dialogue.
Brought it back and got my $ back.
The H4n is more for singer/songwriters that don't require accurate sync.
I've used the DR-40 and was not too impressed with it's noisy pre-amps.
 
VI: have you tried any of the Tascam units under $500? The Mark II rev of the DR-100 looks like they tweaked most of the issues of the first version.
 
Here is an on-line review of the Fostex DC-R302 from B&H photo:



http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth...ands-fostex-dc-r302-mixerrecorder-hdslr-video



Still no owner's manual download available from the Fostex site.

Great find.

Now I can chuck that crappy zoom h4n and not fret about audio.

I was debating between the Mixpre and the Fostex Le when I saw your post.

If the preamp are anywhere as good as the Mixpre then I say we have a winner.

Sorry about the grammar.... This blackberry pad won,the let me spell the Fostex model accurately....

I notice that be and have is listing your fostex for 1200 bucks... Did you get lucky with 999 Canadian?

Great post
 
The preamps are excellent.

$999 is the retail price from Long & Mcquade music stores here in Canada.

The B&H demo shows the device sending audio to a DAW(Macbook proW/ logic) via the USB, and that is confusing to me because the Japanese Fostex rep told me "The USB interface function is not available with the current firmware V.102."
It will be implemented in the next major update scheduled in early
April."
Hmmmmmmm!
But still no owner's manual or firmware update download available from the Fostex site.
 
Wow!

Usually B and H beats any store price in Canada by a mile.

I'm heading off to Long and McQuade in Vancouver tomorrow!

Hope my last post wasn't too confusing.... the damned Blackberry pad won't let me write "B and H".... keeps inserting words everytime I type a letter...

Keep posting your impressions on the unit...

thanks!
 
Just got a firmware update 1.1.0 from Fostex rep in Japan, it will allow the USB to send audio.
He sez "The owner's manual is ongoing. " no date as when it will be released.
Try shutting off the auto-correct on your Blackberry, I find that more often than not it causes confusion of the intended text.
 
Hey! Dammit!

I checked the Long and McQuade website and there is no such beast. VI.... can you send me the link?

Maybe the Fostex is only available at the Long and McQuade in your neck of the woods. Where is your store?
 
Back
Top