Hello All,
this could just be me but, does the image shot in 24p have a "softer' focus than that shot in 60i? i was going back and forth with it this week end and it seems to me that the image taken in 24p (f6 setting) was not as sharp an image, is this normal?
thanx.
That is completely normal. The f6 setting (as well as the f5) has it's detail level down, I believe at -5 or something like that. That is done on purpose to avoid the "harsh video look", giving you a more film like image. These settings of course are completely changable to your tastes. In my 60i settings I have detail down to -3 to take the edge off a bit.
Unless your V-detail is set lower than 0 in your F5 or F6 settings I guess this has to deal with perception. Usually interlaced video(ish) looks sharper when compared to progressive in a monitor... but again it has to deal how we "perceive" the image.
I have noticed a soft look when my focus is off slightly. There is a huge difference when something is precisely focussed. You should do some focussing tests and see if it's just that you are off slightly. 24P should look pretty sharp if focussed properly.