Flattest picture profile?

Excuse my ignorance but what would you advise as the best general setting to allow for colour grading in post? I previously used the Technicolour Cinestyle profile on my 5dmk2 and I'm looking for something similar.
 
There are quite a few posts here about tweaking PP's (picture profiles), just search them and try out a few. I haven't had time to tweak, been shooting non stop since I got the 700, so I just chose PP1 and changed cine to 4. Seems all is set to 0 (sharpness etc). It's pretty flat and a good starting point. Be Aware though that cine4 is not "safe" whites but rather "super" whites which go up to 109%, so be careful in post to get those whites back down to 100% IRE before you put any other filters. Using 5DtoRGB to transcode will bump the levels down to safe and keep gammas true and flat (but takes ages), clip wrap won't, FCP transcode won't, Premiere won't either, dunno about others, so set a proc amp (FCP) or colour corrector (Premiere) and set whites to safe 100% before any other processing, otherwise your highlights will get clipped and nasty.
when shooting, expose your shots with Zebras set at 100 and keep the levels (histogram) within the zebras (so you see no zebras, unless there is high brights like speculars in water and light bulbs etc, these high brights are acceptable to let go into zebra) and you should be good to go. It's a trial and error to find sweet spots with PP's. Also be aware that cine4 can be more "Noisy" than others, but it will be negligible once you balance back in post to bring the blacks down, and you can always de-noise with neat video (but only a bit, otherwise if its too clean skin tones can look plastic)
 
I need to recheck, but I thought Cinegamma 1 was the flattest? I did a quick test with the same scene and took a quick shot with each of the Cinegammas, and Cine 4, the blacks seemed a bit darker than Cine 1, which seemed flatter to me.

I could be wrong though and I am interested as well. I personally prefer Cine 1's look over Cine 4 though. Now I want to re-test it again.
 
Back
Top