Flashing in Upper left at 108024pA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its great that some folks have no problems with flashing lines and artifacs spanning several frames...the rest of us would like to join them and enjoy concentrating on our craft without these glitches!

Do you see the issues at the top of the frame that J_E_R and I have posted?

I feel like I'm going out to dinner with my wife...I notice that I have a stain on the front of my shirt...My wife says " oh, don't worry about it..its a small stain...no one will notice"

Do I feel better knowing _your_ footage has no glitches? Well, I hate to sound selfish but...no.
 
Last edited:
I think its great that some folks have no problems with flashing lines and artifacs spanning several frames...the rest of us would like to join them and enjoy concentrating on our craft without these glitches!

Do you see the issues at the top of the frame that J_E_R and I have posted?

I feel like I'm going out to dinner with my wife...I notice that I have a stain on the front of my shirt...My wife says " oh, don't worry about it..its a small stain...no one will notice"

Do I feel better knowing _your_ footage has no glitches? Well, I hate to sound selfish but...no.

JER asked for footage, so I provided some. Why do you keep asking if I see the problem posted in the grabs above? I said I did.

Look, I'm as interested in getting to the bottom of the problem as anyone else, but the first thing that needs to be done is eliminating variables. If it's a universal defect of the 200 or 500 or P2 or MXF or whatever, then it should appear all the time, across the board. It doesn't. Dozens of cards' worth of 1080 24pA footage shot on different cameras, and there's not a single instance of it in my footage. Dark footage, bright footage, whatever.

So, whatever the problem is, it's not an inherent design flaw and it's not a universal problem of 1080 24pA. This thread was the first I ever heard of it.
 
Which is why I started asking about workflow. Especially the idea of it being associated with 24pA, because the notion of it being a glitch that's introduced when stripping out 24pA pulldown is very easy to believe. But it absolutely is not in the raw footage coming off the camera head, at least on any HVX200 I've ever used.

David, can you find the tiniest 24pA clip you've got and post that, so these folks can process the raw MXFs through their workflow and see if the line is introduced through whatever it is that they're doing to the footage?
 
Barry-

When I originally spotted it I double checked the MXF files with P2CMS and pulled screen grabs while using this program. I can only speak for myself, but it is present on my MXF files before FCP can touch it.

Is there anything related to a specific Scene File settings that could cause this on some cameras and not others? I should say, this was a professional DP and I examined the camera settings myself and saw nothing unusual. I am pretty confident he used minor setting tweaks on CINE-D. They were battery powered 99% of the time. Could running audio to a camera cause this? At the time, since we were days away from principal photography we made the decision to go ahead and shoot with the artifacting .

David-

Looks like your server is down -- I can't pull that file.
 
You should include the full contents directory for it though; use P2CMS or P2 Viewer to export it to its own virtual card and then upload that...
 
Why do you keep asking if I see the problem posted in the grabs above? I said I did. Why do you keep saying it's not in your footage? I accept that.

Look, I'm as interested in getting to the bottom of the problem as anyone else, but the first thing that needs to be done is eliminating variables. If it's a universal defect of the 200 or 500 or P2 or MXF or whatever, then it should appear all the time, across the board. That's a problem with this glitch...it's not in everything I shoot. Sometimes it's easy to see, sometimes it isn't.


Dozens of cards' worth of 1080 24pA footage shot on different cameras, and there's not a single instance of it in my footage. Dark footage, bright footage, whatever. Like I said...I'm happy for you. I'm not searching for the reason your footage is pristine.

So, whatever the problem is, it's not an inherent design flaw and it's not a universal problem of 1080 24pA. Ever heard the saying, "never buy a car built on a monday"? I don't know what the deal is...why some cameras have mis-aligned optics, why some batteries go bad before others...who knows? Don't set me up as a bad guy because I want my brand new camera to work like a brand new camera.

This thread was the first I ever heard of it. July, 2007, below...

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=102386
 
Why do you keep saying it's not in your footage? I accept that.


Because I was answering someone else.


Look, I'm as interested in getting to the bottom of the problem as anyone else, but the first thing that needs to be done is eliminating variables. If it's a universal defect of the 200 or 500 or P2 or MXF or whatever, then it should appear all the time, across the board. That's a problem with this glitch...it's not in everything I shoot. Sometimes it's easy to see, sometimes it isn't.


Dozens of cards' worth of 1080 24pA footage shot on different cameras, and there's not a single instance of it in my footage. Dark footage, bright footage, whatever. Like I said...I'm happy for you. I'm not searching for the reason your footage is pristine.


Neither am I.
 
Okay David, admittedly not as severe, but I think this has more to do with the fact it is a locked off shot. Also to note, I am seeing a lot of strange green and magenta lines going in and out of the top of your footage -- this is also something (perhaps related) that I experience and is most noted with black backgrounds. It looks like a running green / magenta line at the top of the frame. (Most of our film was at night and hand held so all of this stuff showed pretty severely).

This is the first frame of your clip (AA) and the second BB, I just layered them in PS and cut out part of the AA to reveal the BB below. It's a little tough to see but look at where I split it on the window sill. I used P2CMS.

Let me know if you can see this on the footage on your end, and if yes, could you check anything you might have that is handheld?

Thanks,
John

1210700987.jpg
 
OK...apparently I spoke out of turn..my humble apologies.

I'll address this to any who cares to entertain the thought that _some_cameras may have a flaw and that this flaw has been known
to Panasonic and other members of dvxuser since at least July, 2007.

At that time..."I suggest that you keep in touch with Paco and Hector as they will be who will help you solve the issue.

All the best,

Jan"

That was the final word...help is on the way...

why, almost a year later does everybody treat this like it just popped up?

Am I being unreasonable?
 
OK (JER) -- I can see it faintly in P2CMS on the Mac. I could also see all the noisy-type lines you were talking about in the full-screen playback.

I can't see it at all in Vegas/Raylight; I rendered another image sequence like the one above and it's not in any of the stills.

I also do not see it in PP 3.1.

Then I thought that MAYBE it had to do with pulldown removal, and maybe the pink lines were in the jutter frame only; in both Vegas and Premiere, I was in 24p projects with pulldown removed, so I switched over to 60i projects and stepped through -- I didn't see it then, either. This is with 200% and 400% magnification.

But viewing in Final Cut Pro, I again saw it.

I would be inclined to think that this is a Mac problem, but then there's Al's experience in Vista/CS3. I don't have any way to test anything in Vista. I can only say what I'm seeing here.

In any case, the footage was different between my XP machine and my Mac. That, I can say for sure.
 
in our case;
we shoot via HD monitor Pro or Scopebox as QT file then remove the redudantant frames in FCP.

btw this never happens in P2 format
 
Is is possible that the PC is somehow cropping a few lines of the image and the Mac displays some kind of underscan?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top