Flash Bracket as FS100 Grip/Handle?

QuickHitRecord

I believe in paying good money for a good product. But after a lot of research, I have concluded that no third party product really puts the handle where I want it to be -- about two inches back from where the stock handle goes (granted, I am shooting with relatively lightweight Nikkor primes). There are top handle options, but I'm not a huge fan of those either.

Looking through a box of photography odds and ends, I've come up with a simple solution that is close to what I am looking for. I have taken a Dot Line right angle flash bracket (available on B&H for less than $20: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/774435-REG/Dot_Line_DL_0308_Right_Angle_Flash_Bracket.html), flipped the grip for right hand use, and then screwed it into the two rearmost mounting holes on the bottom of the camera. I then mounted a Manfrotto 501 PL quick release plate (the long one) to the front of the bottom of the camera so that it is nice and snug against the flash bracket. This way, the two metal objects are reinforcing but not impeding each other.

The base of the flash bracket pokes out from the other side of the camera. If I were to keep it in this configuration, I'd have to take a hacksaw to it.

This setup feels remarkably comfortable in my hand. With my heavier Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm zoom on the camera, the flash bracket flexes a bit, so I don't think that this is a permanent solution. But in terms of ergonomics, something about this just feels right. Maybe it will work if I can find a hardier flash bracket (preferably with a comfortable grip and a strap).

Has anyone else tried anything like this?

Attachments

• P1000498.jpg
    P1000498.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000503.jpg
    P1000503.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000501.jpg
    P1000501.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000500.jpg
    P1000500.jpg