Firmware update: what else would you like, besides 4K?

I would like a 4:2;2 50 mbps, but I would be surprised if that happened. On 60fps, I definitely feel like the current 24mpbs is not enough as I often noticed the image breaking up at 60fps.

well 4:2:2 is not going to happen as well as 50Mbps - avchd is 4:2:0 codec and the highest avchd standard is 2.0, and its what u have now on fs700. also u get 28Mbps 1080 60p...... as its what avchd 2.0 is, not 24Mbps!
the codec from C300 that you all(including my self) are dreaming about is not AVCHD. so u just cant get 4:2:2 because of the nature of avchd, it just not going to happen..... i would say relax, forget, and enjoy of what u payed for.

Hanad mentioned the weight of 2 cams C300 and FS700 ...... that c300 is lighter....., well according to what i see in specs its not.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-NEXFS700U/
Body only: 3 lbs. 2oz

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839220-REG/Canon_5779B002_C300_Cinema_EOS_Camcorder.html
EOS C300: 3.2 lb (1.43 kg)
Grip: 8.1 oz (230 g)
Monitor Unit: 1.4 lb (620 g)
Handle Unit: 6.3 oz (180 g)
Thumb Rest: 0.35 oz (10 g)
BP-955 Battery: 7.8 oz (220 g)
2x CF Cards : 0.63 oz (18 g)
EOS C300 with Grip, Monitor, Handle, BP-955 & 2x CF Cards: 6.0 lb (2.70 kg)

looks like canon C300 weights more! i can tell that i played with it in canon store (body+monitor+handle+thumb rest+battary - no grip + L zoom lens) it was heavy for me not very comfortable, maybe its need time to get used to like to any other cam, but for sure it was not light!!!!

if you get Nanoflash with FS700 - you will get same 8 bit 4:2:2 codec like canon C300 has and even more as with nano u get 50-220mbps, but also the price difference will still be huge!

c300 is great for some one who has money, but also kind of sucks as its just 8 bit no 1080 60p and over/under crank only at 720p, - still i would buy it just for its sensor,EVF,codec,iso wheel,size and native EF
 
well 4:2:2 is not going to happen as well as 50Mbps - avchd is 4:2:0 codec and the highest avchd standard is 2.0, and its what u have now on fs700. also u get 28Mbps 1080 60p...... as its what avchd 2.0 is, not 24Mbps!
the codec from C300 that you all(including my self) are dreaming about is not AVCHD. so u just cant get 4:2:2 because of the nature of avchd, it just not going to happen..... i would say relax, forget, and enjoy of what u payed for.

What about a different codec. XDCAM 50mb/s 4:2:2. That seems doable since it's in the Sony pmw-200 which is $1700 cheaper than the FS700. Just a thought, probably won't happen, but something 50mb/s would definitely help the 60fps where the codec breakup is definitely more noticeable. Better internal codec is always nicer than hooking up a recorder.

Don't get me wrong, the FS700 is a great camera but since this a theoretical firmware upgrade post, just putting it out there. Not trying to ***** and moan as the camera is solid, but there is always room for improvement even if it's a pipe-dream :)
 
Hi Olof,

How does the Alphatron EVF work in comparison to the Zacuto Evf? I mean I know the main difference is the size and resolution, but what about features and colours? Its been one I have been really interested in as I could use it on every camera with a SDI or HDMI out. Could you post some pics as well? and is the screen reflective?

I will post picture here tomorrow of the Alphatron EVF on the 700. It is great, I really like the peaking and zebras. Here is a great review:
http://www.xdcam-user.com/2012/06/alphatron-evf-035w-video-review/
 
1)A way to lock your framerate at 180 degree shutter when you shift around different framerates and S&Q mode. Right now it's annoying hitting the S&Q button and having to change the shutter speed every time to get 180degree shutter.

2) Expanded Focus over HDMI

3) The ability to fast forward and rewind when you hit the last clip button.
 
1)A way to lock your framerate at 180 degree shutter when you shift around different framerates and S&Q mode. Right now it's annoying hitting the S&Q button and having to change the shutter speed every time to get 180degree shutter.

Yes, this is really annoying and would be a good fix. I find myself constantly having to check and adjust the shutter speed when going through frame rates. Not good for when you have to work fast.
 
1)A way to lock your framerate at 180 degree shutter when you shift around different framerates and S&Q mode. Right now it's annoying hitting the S&Q button and having to change the shutter speed every time to get 180degree shutter.

Totally agree with this one, it would sure help when changing the framerates. So far at least a few times I found myself discovering that I left the shutter at the wrong setting because of this.

2) Expanded Focus over HDMI

It wouldn't hurt, but most LCD's have built-in 1:1 mapping, or zoom of some kind, so it's not a big issue for me. I think this was in fact done on purpose to avoid having expanded focus sent out on all outputs. But, if Sony would give us the option to customize what goes to what screen and with what overlay info or effect, then absolutely yes!
 
Some new and some others have already mentioned...

• Adjust ISO/Gain with scroll wheel
• Histograms in Super slowmo mode
• Lockable settings (i.e shutter speed/aperture etc.) for each S&Q mode
• Updated shutter speed presets @ 180 degrees or phase adjustment to help eliminate flickering at high speed
• Assign custom button to delete highlighted clip in clip browser
• Custom naming of picture profiles
• Audio recoding in super slowmo
• Less compressed internal recoding!!
 
I will post picture here tomorrow of the Alphatron EVF on the 700. It is great, I really like the peaking and zebras. Here is a great review:
http://www.xdcam-user.com/2012/06/alphatron-evf-035w-video-review/

Hanad, here is a link to a whole bunch of photos of my new rig, including lots of shots of the Alphatron, my favourite EVF. I have the Zakuto and the Small Hd as well, there are photos of them as well.

http://www.westsideav.com/FS700_LeanRig_Etc/

Here is just one photo:

picture-1.jpg
 
Hi OLof, thanks for taking time out of your busy day and posting the pics, your rig looks really cool. This is the type of rig I would love to have, except I would have zeiss zf or nikkor lenses. how does the nanoflash perform on the camera? Do you see a dramatic change in codec when recording in pro res 4:2:2? IF you have used the c300, does it look as good or better than the c300 footage when you use a nanoflash? and the ALpharon EVF looks really cool, I like that it uses Sony batteries. BTW whats that handgrip extender called? is it a Sony brand one?

Wow I really like your rigs. Number 32 I think is my favourite, because it is so compact
 
Hi OLof, thanks for taking time out of your busy day and posting the pics, your rig looks really cool. This is the type of rig I would love to have, except I would have zeiss zf or nikkor lenses. how does the nanoflash perform on the camera? Do you see a dramatic change in codec when recording in pro res 4:2:2? IF you have used the c300, does it look as good or better than the c300 footage when you use a nanoflash? and the ALpharon EVF looks really cool, I like that it uses Sony batteries. BTW whats that handgrip extender called? is it a Sony brand one?

Wow I really like your rigs. Number 32 I think is my favourite, because it is so compact


Hanad, I make the handle extension, you can buy it here:
http://www.westsideavstore.com/index.php?p=product&id=62

Here is a closeup of the handle extension kit:

fs700handleext-1.jpg

I have been using the NanoFlash for 5 years now I think. It made a huge difference on the EX3 and EX1R. It does make a difference on the FS700 as well, but the Codec in the 700 is really good, so it is not as obvious. It mostly shows up if you need to chroma key or where there is a lot of motion, like thousands of leafs fluttering in the wind or sparks coming of a grinder.

I really like the redundancy recording of both internal and NF. I use it a lot on interviews when I no way of redoing them and I only have a single camera setup.

The NF is the lightest and it uses the least amount of power of any external recorder I know. It has never failed me. The NF records to XDcam 35mb/s or 50mb/s or all the way up to 220mb/s. I find the Sweet spot to be 100mb/s. There is a big difference between 35 and 50, but after that it is less obvious.

I am absolutely blown away by the 700 images even the native codec. I do a fair amount of grading and the 700 has a fantastic dynamic range and handles highlights very well.

I have not used a C300 yet, but I know a lot of people that love it.

I will have a C100 here when it comes out, that should be an interesting camera as well. I also have an order in for a BMCC, this could be a real wild card.

But my feeling at the moment is the 700 is the best deal out there.

To get back to the thread FW upgrade, I would love to see 422 50mb/s internally but I don't think it will happen.

I really hope Sony will enable 3rd party 4K solutions like the Gemeni from Convergent Design. It is already out there and proven with the F3. This would make a lot of sense and I think it would sell a lot of 700's. I think it is pretty likely.
 
Last edited:
1. iso scroll wheel
2. Last scene button in high speed mode
3. Stop that 'lens feature not supported' bullshit with non nex lenses
4. Custom in-camera and consecutive file naming. There are too many 001.mts files ob my hard drives.
5. over sharpening peaking like zacuto's. The colour peaking doesnt work too well, especially with wide angles.
6. custom naming of picture profiles.
 
Back
Top