Final Cut Studio Upgrade - Now or Later?

Maxpower76

Active member
Hey guys,

I can upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2, but I'm wondering if I should wait as the earlier versions of "Final cut studio" had problems.

I'm an HVX user with a G5 and a Macbook Pro intel and I don't want to mess with my workflow.

Any suggestions? problems? How is it working for everyone?

Or does it kick ass and I should get it right now?

Thx guys
 
I think if you're in the middle of a production hold off. Better to be safe than sorry there. But if you're between projects and can get a copy, get it installed, and start playing before your next gig gets going, I'd probably do that. There are a lot of nice improvements available for you. Perhaps the biggest being color. But if you don't finish your films then that might not be as big a deal then.

And hey, worst case scenario, again if you're not in a crunch right now, you still have the legit 5.1 installers. You can always go back to them and wait for some updates to 6 to comeout before again giving it a shot. The price isn't going to change, so if you can buy it now, might as well.

cheers.
 
I'd go for the upgrade- the new stuff you can do with 3D in Motion, Color and the speed upgrades to FCP are totally worth it. And pretty much no issues with upgrading in the middle of a project unless you've just got something hugely complex.

Noah
 
Your mileage may vary - but I upgraded from 5.1 to 6 about 2 weeks ago.
I haven't found any real bugs or problems yet.
(keeping my fingers crossed)

Everything is running smoothly - and I'm in the middle of numerous projects.
I usually would have waiting for a cleaner break in my schedule to do a major upgrade - but my partner upgraded his system leaving me little choice, and my schedule isn't going to have a clean break until November at the earliest.... so I went ahead and did it, checked the first few project files without saving them in FCP6 (in case there was a problem).... and its been smooth sailing so far.
 
Don't upgrade mid project.

I've had FCS2 running on laptop and desktop for four weeks without any issues with a HVX200
 
Back
Top