Film Modes

smkeenan

Member
Well I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to the settings they are using regarding their film mode. So far I have been shooting on the dynamic preset without any adjustments. I have seen people post their settings and I am wondering if any other GH1 owners have some advice... thanks in advance
 
Have a look in the sample footage section, as a few people have posted clips along with their settings there. I've tried Smooth and Nostalgic so far which aren't too punchy and am just experimenting with My Film settings.
 
I'm still testing things out, and it's all subjective, but here's my opinion so far.
Standard is blah and a bit noisy.
Smooth is low-contrast, boosts the shadow areas but is very good. It's a good general purpose setting.
Dynamic tends to crush the blacks, so if you're going for that look, it's cool.
I've had good luck shooting nature with Nature, believe it or not :-)
On all settings, I have dialed the Contrast and Sharpness down to their minimum. That provides more flexibility for me when doing Color Correction in post.

That's it. I'm still testing.
 
I'm still testing things out, and it's all subjective, but here's my opinion so far.
Standard is blah and a bit noisy.
Smooth is low-contrast, boosts the shadow areas but is very good. It's a good general purpose setting.
Dynamic tends to crush the blacks, so if you're going for that look, it's cool.
I've had good luck shooting nature with Nature, believe it or not :-)
On all settings, I have dialed the Contrast and Sharpness down to their minimum. That provides more flexibility for me when doing Color Correction in post.

That's it. I'm still testing.

So in smooth, if you dial down contrast, it will even get more flatter then it already is?

.
 
Still finding my way but for what it's worth: I started shooting with all four settings dialed down to -2, but now coming round to using Saturation and Contrast at -1, Sharpness and NR at -2. Preferred Film style is now Nostalgic, which seems to have a slightly better skin tone than Smooth which I had previously used. I have been shooting with white balance set to 5500k (thanks to Illya's advice), and have the histogram enabled to try to achieve a non-clipping exposure.
 
Back
Top