FCP Training DVD

logam11

New member
Hi,

Wondering if any of you have personal experiences with the FCP training DVD's out there. I've seen this topic earlier on the board, but after checking out the LA FCPUG website, I'm still undecided about a training DVD. I'm a beginner looking to learn FCP ASAP, and I think a book would take too much time and be a bit boring. Also, I'm in China, so no FCP training courses available. Any advice from personal experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
 
Re: FCP Training DVD

Personally, if you have any footage you can log onto your system, throw it on and start playing around. Go through every effect, find out what it does, how to manipulate it, cut some clips together etc. For me learning first hand and learning from my own mistakes helped a lot more than some potentially overpriced dvd that may only scratch the surface to what there is to learn. Plus, once you are on your way with your knowledge of Final Cut, you can always come here with problems.
 
Re: FCP Training DVD

I agree, but I'm limited on time, so I need a systematic, user-friendly approach to learning FCP. Meanwhile, I love playing with that Cross Zoom! Kicks butt!

Alex
 
Re: FCP Training DVD

I've never tried any of the training tools out there save for the included tutorial. If you haven't done it already, I would highly recommend doing it. It will take only a few hours and you'll basically learn how the program works and what all of the important tools do.
 
Re: FCP Training DVD

This is what worked for me when I first got my system back in October 2003. I read the 1st book for about 2-3 weeks and flipped through the other 2 books. After that 3 week period, I was confident enough to begin capturing video and playing around with the timeline, effects, etc. Now that I am in the middle of the 3rd book, I have edited 3 projects and burned several DVD's. So you have to give yourself time to learn your system if you want good results. I am still learning everyday. The thing with FCP 4 is that you have to learn that, then Soundtrack, then Livetype, the Peak and Cinema Tools....so its a bundle of knowledge that you need to know. If you don't have time for the book then just capture your video and start editing....some people are gifted like that where they don't need to read a book to learn how something works. I would reccommend reading the book though or go ahead and get the DVD.

There is also a book at Barnes and Nobles (not sure of the title) but it is a FCP book and it offers you the chance to be apple certified IF you pass the test.
 
Re: FCP Training DVD

I work at AFI and I was asked to evaluate a Final Cut Pro CD-ROM tutorial from DVCreators.net - not only do I think it's incredibly effective - but I really think it's the best piece of tutorial software I've ever seen. They work closely with Apple - and they're content is comprehensive and priced really well. The only thing I can say against them is that they are dragging their arses on the release of their "What's new with Final Cut Pro 4" Software. I want to play with it! Check out their site: www.dvcreators.net
 
Back
Top