F3 fan

amrossi

New member
I was shooting an interview with the F3 last week and after a couple of hours a fan kicked on. It wasn't a particularly hot day, and we had broken for lunch not too long beforehand. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Antonio Rossi
DP
New York
 
Curious did you have the 3G/1.5G port(s) turned on? It uses quite a bit of power and I suspect would generate a significant amount of heat in relation to the standard operating temperature of the F3
 
I was using the SD/HDI out, and I was recording HQ 24P to SxS cards. I was surprised it came on because it wasn't very hot, and it hadn't been running very long. It's loud, and not something that can be taken lightly. It was obviously not great for sound in the doc interview situation I was in, and I imagine it would be even more poorly received in a commercial or feature environment.

I wonder if it would be better with an external recorder.

Antonio Rossi
DP
New York
 
I have shot with mine almost all day in interview and b-roll situations and dont recall fan coming on, is there something in the menu or was that the Red?
 
All cameras have fans. Modern brushless fans are pretty quiet. They float on magnetic bearings. It should only be a very gentle whoosh of air that is almost undetectable.

If you hear much more than that I would be suspicious that something else was causing the noise like a wire or paper label that was barely touching the fan housing. Its important to investigate because if it stops the fan you could have heat damage. (It happened to me once. Sigh.)
 
Back
Top