Extreme Vs Brevis

johnnyspack

Active member
Anyone care to share any opinions on whether I should go with a Brevis pre flip or letus extreme. I'll be doing a bit of doco work on both my XH-A1 and HV20, so I want 1 unit for both cameras.

thanks
 
Brevis flip is due out any time soon. Tests are proving to be very exciting judging by the footage posted on here.
 
Because "soon" is base on how fast Dennis completes building the commercial version. And he has to first give the first units to the people that are on the list.

If you can wait before you decide, then wait for the Brevis to come out and for all the testing to be done by people and then you decide. If not, the Extreme is currently on sale in market.
 
But remember, the brevis flip is a "bolt on" to the normal Brevis. So you could buy the brevis and use the adapter unflipped, then purchase the flip when it launches.
 
Steve is right , the Flip is an add on to the normal Brevis. But when the flip comes out, you won't be needed the spacer and the Achromat of the normal Brevis . So you can spend US$1400 + shipping now and $400 + shipping later and get a complete set of the Brevis so that you can do flip and non flip with rails and mount.

Or spend US$1200 now and $200 on rails to get the Extreme.

And you need a mointor to see the footage if they are upside down. Unless you can take your time and get use to it. Shooting upside is not my cup of tea? I'm tired of the work flow and rendering time .

Anyway rails are highly recommanded even if you are shooting with the Brevis. BTW a mattebox and N.D filters are needed to bring out the best of the image using an adapter. So Rails are recommanded for both the Brevis or the Extreme. I wouldn't trust the thread of my camera to hold all that weight.
 
Last edited:
David, we've introduced the pre-flip bundle which includes the Brevis HD bundle, full carbon fibre 45cm (18") rails system, and Brevis to rails support for under $1300. This rail system is long enough for mattebox and shoulder support use. Pre-flip purchasers are placed on our pre-order list for the flip module. You're correct in that folks with this setup will have the option to shoot non-flipped if they're looking for a light rig, or flipped for a corrected workflow :-)

We are the only adapter manufacturer that has a specific setup for the HV20. Issues with high levels of vignetting (particularly with wide angle lenses) reported by HV20 users on other adapters are not a concern for us so an individual wanting full "vistavision" frame widths with the XH-A1, and HV20 is 100% supported.

The flip module is in full production and we expect to be shipping them later this month.
 
yes I know 1299 candaian dollars. At the moment with shipping it cost 1400 us dollars

The exchange say at this time (6/11/07) $1299 cad = $1390 USD
 
Last edited:
yes yes FED FX is good... BTW how is my order #2341 ? Need to build sometihng to my rails to support something big

I am also waiting for the Flip to come out too... It will be realy nice to see how it combines with the SGPRO. I'm always thinking of High speed shutter with flip image.

BTW have you ever thought of bulding a Spinning unit too. It can be also a add on , so that one can choose to go to high shutter speed with it.
 
Last edited:
dennis, have people been successful at mounting a letus extreme with the cinevate rails?
 
Papa, yes, and I believe at least one of the Letus purchasers posted pics here of the rig. Our rails system is extremely versatile and already designed for our flip solution, so it's no accident that it works with the Letus products. The rails system we sell was developed over a year of feedback from our users with a very wide range of hardware needs. Getting heavy wall carbon tubing made to our specifications took a long time, but the end resultl is that they're light, affordable, and incredibly stiff.

David, our fedex friends will have the parts in Germany within 2 days.
 
Yipee...:2vrolijk_08:

It is always a pleasure to deal with you.....:thumbsup:

The pictures of the Flip are looking good Dennis, Keep it up, I really looking forward to the production units of it.
 
I bought the Cinevate rails just for the Letus Extreme and they work great! Dennis and everyone at Cinevate did a fantastic job designing the rails. Aside from the vertical adjustments for the camera, another clever design was that the tripod plate can move independently on the rails (this is fantastic to help balance the weight especially when you are placing the unit on a jib or steadicam; we all know these adapters make everything front heavy).

If you are in need of rails, definitely check out the Cinevate rails.
 
My DP is coming over tomorrow (I guess it's actually today now) to help him setup his HVX and the Letus Extreme, so I'll take some photos and post tomorrow evening (photos of my HVX, Letus Extreme, Cinevate rails and monitor).
 
Cool! Can't wait to see that! I'm also suppose to get my Cinevate rails today... (Thanks Dennis!) But sadly, no L-Ex yet...
 
My DP is coming over tomorrow (I guess it's actually today now) to help him setup his HVX and the Letus Extreme, so I'll take some photos and post tomorrow evening (photos of my HVX, Letus Extreme, Cinevate rails and monitor).

ditto, would really like ot see .
does this setup support the use of a follow focus and mattebox?
 
Dennis or DCP:

Wat kind of vertical adjustment range does the Cinevate mount have? You can't really tell from the photos on the Cinevate site. I bought the Cavision system and like it but as of right now, I can't use the great matte box that you sold me Dennis.

Cavision is working on a solution but that is probably weeks or months away. I need something asap.

Dan

Dan
 
i'm still waiting for my flip extreme. anybody know how to find out what order number they're shipping now?

just got my cinevate rails and mattebox. and my redrock follow focus. the cinevate mount looks like it has about 2-3" of vertical adjustment. one thing that is disappointing is that nothing came with instructions. and i've never used stuff like this before. and i don't know how to put it together. :( but it looks awesome. :)

i'll definitely be posting samples and pics and opinions as soon as i can.
 
Mac,
can you post the sides and rear pics of the cinevate system please. Also the plate system that allows it to move.

Cinevate website only have long shot pic of their rail system.
 
Back
Top