Ext. Monitor Preview SDI: 1080i vs 1080p

Gene Sung

Veteran
So I have a Small HD DP6 SDI connection and I learned that the only way to get playback using SDI with 60p slow motion is to set: REC/OUT SET -> VIDEO OUT -> 1080i/480i)

I am recording INTERNALLY to SDHC cards, and the video out is strictly for monitoring purposes only. No external recorder.

I have 2 questions:

1) I haven't had a chance to pixel peep that much, but is there a visible difference between 1080i vs 1080p on a monitor like the Small HD DP6? I didn't notice the interlacing, but I just had the monitor locked off with no drastic motion.

2) Now I think I know the answer, but I just want to be 100% certain before my shoot to avoid a grave error. If I set the VIDEO OUT to 1080i/480i only for monitoring purposes and still recording the internal SDHC cards, it will NOT effect the video quality, correct?

Only if I had an external recorder like the Samurai with video out at 1080i with SDI, then it would interlace the footage on the external recorder, correct? But for monitoring purposes only, 1080i from video out has no effect on the internal SDHC recording quality?

Thanks for the guidance as usual.

 
To answer question 2: yes to both parts

So the internal recording (SDHC) will still be whatever you set it to (24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, 60p, 50i, 60i, whatever) but the video out (out of the SDI or HDMI) will be interlaced. Which also means anything recorded off this feed will be interlaced.

Q1: I doubt you'll see an appreciable difference on so small a screen - but what are you worried about?

Colin
 
Last edited:
There is a subtle difference, i've found that the 1080i image shows less rolling shutter (which is the monitor not the camera) but can actually break up a bit which scared the life out of me for a while (this is HDMI -> Shuttle -> DP6). 1080p seems to have a more stable image. This is different to the FS100 which would only work with 1080i and i never saw a problem with that configuration.

Using a black magic shuttle that will accept the 1080i and produce 1080p frames from it (like for the FS100). This is the only way to get super slow mo recorded externally on it (and see it on the monitor too)

cheers
paul
 
Good to know that rolling shutter on the monitor is reduced with 1080i. On 1080p, the monitor rolling shutter is insane, at least on the DP6
 
Back
Top