EX1 Stopping Recording when Connected to Audio Desk

basspig

Veteran
Shot a concert Saturday night in New York. 3 cameras, two manned, one set up as static wide shot, and also getting audio feed from FoH mixing desk.

First half of concert, no anomalies. Second half, the camera (EX1) that was receiving a feed wasn't showing a tally lamp after the first ten minutes. I went over and pressed record, thinking that maybe I should consider retiring and that Alzheimer's is affecting my ability to remember to start the camera before I walk to the A cam and do my job there. But then a minute later, I glance over at C camera and there was no tally lamp again. Went back there again and started the recording again.. noted red dot in viewfinder and lit tally lamp. Went back to A cam and did my job. 30 seconds later, I glance back and the C camera is not recording again. I dash back over there and start the recording again. This time it runs for ten minutes, and then quits. Repeat again, and the last time it keeps recording to the end of concert.

Now we have fragments for the C cam wide angle, and missing audio. The client is furious. We did record backup audio from the FoH mixer, but it turned out they gave us the vocal mics only on the Zoom recorder feed, so it's no good. The Cam C got a proper mix, but since it went to standby four times, we're missing about 30% of the post intermission wide angle footage and audio.

The camera only has about 200 hours on it. I think it's recorded 7 concerts since we bought it in 2008. It has NEVER failed to record before. I am testing it again in studio, just pointing at a wall and recording. It powered off and back on after about ten minutes of recording, so it looks like the camera developed a fault Saturday, after 200 hours of trouble-free operation. At first, I thought perhaps it might be stray infrared that the camera sensed as a remote control command to stop, but this controlled test confirmed it's not.

So now my spotless reputation for delivering perfect video every time without exception is ruined. I'll likely not see more work from this client because of this. Solid state equipment isn't as reliable as all the hype would have us believe. And the camera is only about half paid for in terms of income it's produced. We're probably looking at a hefty non-warranty repair here. Any ideas?
 
Does it do it with other media? If you're using cheap SD cards, that could be your point of failure.

Could you get an external recorder & record off the SDI feed?

----

Biggest lesson I would say is always monitor audio. If you're going to have an un-manned camera, send audio to one of the manned cameras. Sucky situation.
 
No, using the same thousand dollar SxS cards from Sony that I've been using since 2008.

The Atomos Samurai stopped recording too.

Further in studio testing revealed that the camera reboots after ten minutes. Not a good sign.
 
I'd probably do the following.

1. Get rid off the EX1 because you will have lost all confidence with using that camera now. Either get it fixed and sell it or sell it as is. Every time you use that camera from now on you will be thinking, ''Is it still recording?''.
2. You have audio from the other two cameras? Why not try to piece that audio together as best as you can? Audacity and other programmes are quite good but I don't know what you have to work with.
3. If the audio doesn't work from the other two cameras, well fade the parts up that do work and back out if needed. Or just fade up the last section from where it all works.
4. Re-film the session again. Probably not possible but worth asking them if you can't fix it.
5. If you can't fix the video; offer the client a free session as compensation. If he or she is not happy with that then move on.
6. Perhaps buy a couple of A6000's or an A7S for those wide shots to replace the EX1.
7. learn from your mistakes.

Best of luck.
 
I'd probably do the following.

1. Get rid off the EX1 because you will have lost all confidence with using that camera now. Either get it fixed and sell it or sell it as is. Every time you use that camera from now on you will be thinking, ''Is it still recording?''.
2. You have audio from the other two cameras? Why not try to piece that audio together as best as you can? Audacity and other programmes are quite good but I don't know what you have to work with.
3. If the audio doesn't work from the other two cameras, well fade the parts up that do work and back out if needed. Or just fade up the last section from where it all works.
4. Re-film the session again. Probably not possible but worth asking them if you can't fix it.
5. If you can't fix the video; offer the client a free session as compensation. If he or she is not happy with that then move on.
6. Perhaps buy a couple of A6000's or an A7S for those wide shots to replace the EX1.
7. learn from your mistakes.

Best of luck.


1. My plan was to sell the EX1 next year and get a second FS7.

2. I have microphone audio, but it's not a board feed.

3. I only shot it, the client is doing the editing.

4. Not possible. Band's final concert before breaking up.

5. Client doesn't normally hire me for these sorts of things.

6. FS7 is already on the roadmap for next year.

7. Trusting Sony. But what camera doesn't break down after 200 hours? And we have redundant audio recording, just that the board op didn't give us the mono house mix we asked for on that feed, only vocals, so not much use.
 
I've not used an EX1 but I have an F3. Have you tried an all-reset on the camera? Try a different SxS card and see if it does the same thing. Perhaps try a different battery. Why not replace the CR2032 memory battery which is located next to the tripod mount. Usually when a Sony camera has a problem an error code appears on the screen I believe.

Your camera is near 8 years old but with only 200 hours I would suggest contacting Sony if you can't work it out.
 
I was thinking about those things, the internal battery, possibly dirty contacts on the SxS (the camera had not been used in six months, since the last concert in March--in which it performed perfectly). But I am also suspicious of the power switch. One time when I touched it during testing last night, the camera stopped recording and then rebooted.

As for Sony, I'll bet I could unbox a NOS EX1, and if defective, they'd not help, sticking to the letter of the warranty.
 
Isuspect it's the CR2032 memory battery. Change it and see if it works.


Could be causing unexpected behavior. I'll replace it. I have a closet full of CR2025 batteries (same voltage, but higher self discharge rate). I could try one of those if need be. Who knows? Sometimes low CMOS battery can cause problems with computers that seem unrelated, so it may be such with the camera. 7 years and the past six months sitting with no battery on it to keep the internal backup charged.
 
Basspig, my 7 year old EX1 has the same issue with the power switch. If I brush a finger across it while recording, it HAS caused a power down and reboot.....very worrying but can't afford to send it in yet.
 
Basspig, my 7 year old EX1 has the same issue with the power switch. If I brush a finger across it while recording, it HAS caused a power down and reboot.....very worrying but can't afford to send it in yet.


Any idea what Sony charges for this repair? Have you enquired and found it to be expensive?

I hadn't used mine in 6 months, so maybe a patina of corrosion built up on the contacts.
 
Nope, never checked. Money has been SO bad here for SO long that I haven't had the chance to get an estimate. I just keep my fingers away from the switch. Plus, the last time they serviced that back panel area, they broke my audio so there's a bit of trepidation involved with sending it to them....again.
 
Nope, never checked. Money has been SO bad here for SO long that I haven't had the chance to get an estimate. I just keep my fingers away from the switch. Plus, the last time they serviced that back panel area, they broke my audio so there's a bit of trepidation involved with sending it to them....again.

Ah, sounds like the typical videographer income problem! I know it well!
I'm thinking of just taking the damned thing apart and cleaning the switch. I have a strong suspicion it is the switch, as the camera recorded the first half without a glitch, then I powered it down during intermission and powered it back up later and that's when the problems began. Non-use between March and October probably let corrosion build up.
 
I think you're on the right track. A tiny spritz of DeOxit on that switch might do the trick. Please report back if it DOES fix it and I'll attempt it here.
Dave
 
I think you're on the right track. A tiny spritz of DeOxit on that switch might do the trick. Please report back if it DOES fix it and I'll attempt it here.
Dave


Will do. I'm wondering if the slide handle can be pried off safely, as with most faders and other knobs on other devices. I'm reluctant to remove the panel because of a complaint I heard about a Sony repair facility not reassembling this properly and disabling the audio on the EX1. I see four tiny screws that appear to hold this panel. This will be a winter project when I'm less busy with other work.
 
Yep, that original complaint was MINE! ;-)
I sent in my EX1 back when many of us had the problem with the lettering rubbing off the back plate. They replaced the plate and did some other repairs but when they reattached the back plate, they didn't center it correctly. It was off so much that it pinned down a couple of the audio selector switches and rendered them useless. So, I sent it back to Sony. I probably could have unscrewed it and put it back on properly but I was afraid that they might have damaged either the switches or the circuit board under the switches.....so back it went.
 
I'm guessing Sony didn't tell you what they screwed up while servicing it the prior time?

I'll have to plan ahead carefully for this procedure, starting with research to find any information on that switch and how best to get at it with a minimum of disassembly. Maybe find out if a service manual exists out in the wild. Familiarize myself with the assembly and get to work.
 
Back
Top