dvxuser leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
dialog (in the leader) would only be cheating if the film is already at the 6min limit... right? i was thinking of doing this, just for fun. ...don't think mine will be a full 6:00, so it should be ok.

opinions...?

If your film AND the leader come in under 6 minutes then you can put dialogue under it. If your film and the leader come in at 6:01 with dialogue under it - DQ.

I seriously don't think anyone will be that big of a stickler about it. If you want to have audio of any kind over the leader as part of your film's beginning, I'd say go ahead. But I'm not a moderator of course so don't quote me.
You can bet people are that big of sticklers about it. If a film has no shot of winning, yes no one will care if the film is over by a couple of seconds or did something creative like putting the dialogue under the leader to get in on time.

But if a film is bucking to place we get PM's from people saying "no fair" "I could have used those 7 seconds for story tellling too" etc. Happens without fail every time. We couldn't let it slide if we wanted to because a vocal handful of members will definitely make a stink.

Remember thousands of dollars of prizes get awarded here and some folks get quite competitive / invested.
 
we get PM's from people saying "no fair" "I could have used those 7 seconds for story tellling too" etc. Happens without fail every time... a vocal handful of members will definitely make a stink.

Ya see, that's why you're here. :) I never would've even thought about that. I take it all back. On a personal note, I wouldn't give a crap if a film that beat mine had dialogue over the leader, in fact I think I'd say, "wow, that was clever, good job". And I'm competitive.

Eh, ah well.

Happy fest to all.
 
No worries. We've erred on the side of thinking people don't care that much and it doesn't always turn out well. So we advise people to be as strict with themselves as possible, because someone will complain about it whatever the small infraction is if the film's in contention to win.
 
nope. not yet... there is always the disclaimer "prizes IF ANY.."

I'm still working on trying to round some stuff up... I'll probably announce around the time the films go live. Economy sucking and all, don't expect much, but our sponsors usually don't disappoint...

Later,
Jason
 
none of those leaders are working for me. the ones that Jack put up download as 1kb files and the ones that Jason put up both have audio only. What am I doing wrong?
 
Is there a rule posted somwhere that states you can't have dialog over the leader? My film is 6:10 exactly. And I have very important dialog in the leader. Or is this a rule that was made up on the fly because of whiners?
 
Last edited:
if you have dialogue in your first 10 seconds that's very important, i.e. part of your story ... is your film six minutes long? or is your film 6 minutes and ten seconds long? i.e, wouldn't make sense without the additional 10 seconds of dialogue.

It's not a rule that was ever made up. Just seems like common sense doesn't it? If your film won't make sense without those 10 seconds, then your film is 6 and 10 seconds long, no? So you've effectively snuck in 10 seconds of story - right?

Let me know if you disagree but I would never have assumed that I could put a scene under the leader. And that's the big difference. Your putting a actual scene under the leader, not just keeping the exploding sounds that go with the leader from messing up the mood of your film etc., if it starts as a quiet drama for example. This would be like the same as having 10 seconds of black with dialogue under it when we had no leader, IMHO and that would obviously be 10 seconds over.
 
"Films may not exceed six minutes and ten seconds (6:10) total. This includes the DVXuser Leader (approx. 10 seconds), the film and any credits."

I understand where you're coming from. I never thought of it in that way. But when the rules say films can be 6:10 including leader and my film is 6:10 including leader , I didn't think I was doing anything wrong let alone trying to sneak anything in or bend the rules.

No big deal either way. But Some of us could have done that not knowing we would have been DQ'd for an unwritten rule.
 
Last edited:
I guess if you are looking for technicalities, the rules could be more clearly stated...

But, it also says:
DVXuser leader -- this must be at the beginning of your film--no exceptions! (the runtime of the leader does not count against your six minutes).

Later,
Jason
 
I'm willing to accept further feedback on this... If you guys think it's not clear enough, then we can discuss it.

Later,
Jason
 
I'm not looking for a Technicality to sneak in more time. Please be clear. that is not my style. I will follow any rule that is put in place.
 
I may be the only one that has done this, I don't really care either way. I'm just trying make a point that the rules on it may be clear to some and not to others. I have already taken the dialog out the leader of my film to conform this. no biggie:beer:
 
sure it's a biggie... no worries.

If there is a consensus that something is not clear enough, and I certainly acknowledge that this may be the case, then we can certainly amend things.

We're not in the business of trying to dq people, but at the same time we don't want to make exceptions for just any ole thing.

So, if there is consensus on this that the wording in its current form is not clear enough on this point, I'm more than willing to make the exception.

Late,r
Jason
 
As long as I can use the leader from last year Jason we are cool.
By the way still no book from the last fest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top