Hi Folks,
I'm looking to purchase a camera for independent film making and I would love to get some advice from all of you knowledgeable people.
Here are my options:
1) Used DVXA for 1700 (45 hours w/ case)
2) Used DVXB for 2350 (6 hours w/ UV filter and case)
3) Used XL2 for 2250 (75 hours)
4) New DVXB for 2500+ (depending on retailer)
5) New Xh A1 for ~$3500
Use of camera: Primary for short films in 16:9 to be submitted to online film contests. As I become more experienced, I'd like to consider festival submissions and the eventual feature length film.
Major factors for me: Cost, quality of 16:9 footage, low-light performance, longevity (SD vs HD). I know the DVX's are amazing cameras, however I'm concerned about the ~30% loss in resolution when filming 16:9. The XL2 has native 16:9 chips, but doesn't perform as well under low light (not to mention it doesn't have an LCD screen). The Xh A1 costs more, but I might be willing to wait and save in order to have HD (since that will be the norm in the near future) as well as the 16:9 native chips.
It's so tempting to just grab the deal on the DVXA, but then I start thinking about how much happier I'd be with the DVXB. THEN I say to myself, "Well heck, if I'm gonna dish out ~$2500 on a used or new DVXB, I might as well wait and buy the xh a1." At which point I've DOUBLED what I would be spending.
I'm looking to purchase a camera for independent film making and I would love to get some advice from all of you knowledgeable people.
Here are my options:
1) Used DVXA for 1700 (45 hours w/ case)
2) Used DVXB for 2350 (6 hours w/ UV filter and case)
3) Used XL2 for 2250 (75 hours)
4) New DVXB for 2500+ (depending on retailer)
5) New Xh A1 for ~$3500
Use of camera: Primary for short films in 16:9 to be submitted to online film contests. As I become more experienced, I'd like to consider festival submissions and the eventual feature length film.
Major factors for me: Cost, quality of 16:9 footage, low-light performance, longevity (SD vs HD). I know the DVX's are amazing cameras, however I'm concerned about the ~30% loss in resolution when filming 16:9. The XL2 has native 16:9 chips, but doesn't perform as well under low light (not to mention it doesn't have an LCD screen). The Xh A1 costs more, but I might be willing to wait and save in order to have HD (since that will be the norm in the near future) as well as the 16:9 native chips.
It's so tempting to just grab the deal on the DVXA, but then I start thinking about how much happier I'd be with the DVXB. THEN I say to myself, "Well heck, if I'm gonna dish out ~$2500 on a used or new DVXB, I might as well wait and buy the xh a1." At which point I've DOUBLED what I would be spending.