DVX price update

What happens to the price of a new DVX100A when Panasonic reveals its newest line up and what do stores as per sales and clearence and all that? When is the best time to buy one?
 
There won't be any clearance going on with the DVX. The DVX is a current model and will remain a current model, sold side-by-side with the HVX. Remember the DVX has a retail price of over $2,000 LESS than the HVX, and a street price of a little over half the retail of the HVX.

There's room in the marketplace for both cameras. The DVX won't go anywhere anytime soon, unless people just stop buying it.
 
I am in need of a new camera. If the HVX was going to be June or even July, I would probably try to tough it out and get that. So now I am faced with buying a DVX for $3k or so and hoping the used prices hold up when I am ready to sell it and upgrade, or else buy a used vx2000 or even a pd-150, both of which seem to be available in the $1500 price range. Considering the prices of a used DVX, it seems to me that a new one makes as much sense. Someone please convince me that used DVX prices will hold up, making a DVX purchase as economical (or almost) as a used Sony. I can stand it if it costs me $500 to own it for 6 months.

Also, does anyone know the future plans for the DVX rebate? Does it run out on April 30th, or will it be extended? I couldn't find any dates on the panasonic site today that indicated it would end.
 
Used DVX prices will probably not hold up, simply because quite a number of DVX owners will need to sell their cameras in order to finance part of the HVX's + P2 card(s) purchase price. More supply means prices go down... unless an equal or larger number of people decide to buy used DVXs, but I don't see that happening on a grand scale.

If you're gonna need it for just a few months, why don't you buy a used DVX ? You're likely to lose less on the resale this Fall...
 
I suspect we will see DVX prices drop too. But used DVX's seem to sell for 2500 to 2800 or even more, and I can find a new one at about $3000, including Barry's book and a full warranty. Considering risks of a used camera and no warranty, I am not sure it makes sense to only save 8-18%. And there is always the risk that I will want to keep it. But I guess I really need to reconsider that option too.
 
Back
Top