dancingcrane05
New member
Hi
Ive just signed up to this forum...it appears to be great resource...
This may be a long shot but can anyone help me?...I finished my first documentary recently (shot in southern Sudan on a sony VX 1000..it was okay but tape got jammed for four days, Sound was shitty on the Vx-1000 with on on-board
mic)..
I am off to East Africa for six months to shoot films....on the East coast where it is hot, humid, bright and sandy, in Sudan where it is hot, dusty and dangerous, in Uganda where it is moist and green...
I am prepared to put my savings/career/cohones on the line in order to make documentaries, but I really struggle trying to research which camera to buy!
I love the DVX for its 'film-look' feature especially...
I love the Sony PDX-10p for its size...
And everyone seems to use a Sony PD-170 these days so surely it must be good(!?)...
But not XL-1/2 because of their XXL size
1. DURABILITY! Any recommendations on which is the most durable mini DV cam in these conditions? (I know its asking a lot of a camera, but one can only try!)...
2. ACCESSORIES! In these harsh conditions would a brand like sony have a lot more cheaper accessories available (e.g. long lasting batteries, wide angle lenses etc, bags etc?)
3. WHERE TO BUY? the other problem is where to buy it? Is it unclever to buy a camera from a US dealer if I live in Europe (and am moving to africa) just because its cheaper?
OKAY, with these questions in mind, which camera would you experienced video makers and esteemed techies go for?
If anyone can answer these questions I would be really really grateful! Thanks....E
Ive just signed up to this forum...it appears to be great resource...
This may be a long shot but can anyone help me?...I finished my first documentary recently (shot in southern Sudan on a sony VX 1000..it was okay but tape got jammed for four days, Sound was shitty on the Vx-1000 with on on-board
mic)..
I am off to East Africa for six months to shoot films....on the East coast where it is hot, humid, bright and sandy, in Sudan where it is hot, dusty and dangerous, in Uganda where it is moist and green...
I am prepared to put my savings/career/cohones on the line in order to make documentaries, but I really struggle trying to research which camera to buy!
I love the DVX for its 'film-look' feature especially...
I love the Sony PDX-10p for its size...
And everyone seems to use a Sony PD-170 these days so surely it must be good(!?)...
But not XL-1/2 because of their XXL size
1. DURABILITY! Any recommendations on which is the most durable mini DV cam in these conditions? (I know its asking a lot of a camera, but one can only try!)...
2. ACCESSORIES! In these harsh conditions would a brand like sony have a lot more cheaper accessories available (e.g. long lasting batteries, wide angle lenses etc, bags etc?)
3. WHERE TO BUY? the other problem is where to buy it? Is it unclever to buy a camera from a US dealer if I live in Europe (and am moving to africa) just because its cheaper?
OKAY, with these questions in mind, which camera would you experienced video makers and esteemed techies go for?
If anyone can answer these questions I would be really really grateful! Thanks....E