DSR450 vs. HVX200 Final Decision . . .

Ralph Oshiro

Veteran
So now, I'm choosing between the SAME two cameras as before: the Sony 2/3" DSR450 and the Panasonic HVX200. I'm leaning toward the DSR450 for its sensitivity, shallow depth-of-field, and its low-noise picture. And remember, noise was the single greatest issue that was bothering me about all 1/3" cameras in the first place.

The single greatest attraction for me in the HVX200? The variable frame rates (the compact form factor is also a big attraction). The noise level and the weird blocking in the blacks are keeping me in check, but, damn--that little HVX200 kicks butt on the F350 as far as I'm concerned in all other areas. This is going to be a tough, tough decision for me. Variable frame rates and accept the 1/3" CCD noise, or super quiet pictures and a very light-sensitive camera . . .

Notice that I didn't even mention HD? I don't really care. I've tested the HVX200 and a 2/3" BVW600 Betacam side-by-side. And while the HVX was SIGNIFICANTLY sharper, the 600's image was very, very pretty. And very, very, QUIET! So, if it's the noise that's going to make me regret buying an HVX200, I guess, I'm going to go for the DSR450. Unless, I decide that I just can't live without that beautiful 60P framerate--which I probably can't.
 
Last edited:
I figured, as you didnt mention HD, you were looking for a better Camera for your needs
 
Well, the solution is obvious.

Obviously you don't want to get the DSR450 and be stuck with 4:1:1 color space, and shut out of HD.

Obviously you're concerned about the amount of noise you'll find in any 1/3" camera.

So obviously you'd be a candidate for the SDX900, which just had an $11,000 price drop and is now priced competitively with the DSR450, delivers the 24p/30p/60i and the cinegamma and the 2/3" chips and the 4:2:2 color sampling and the lower compression...

... but, even with all that said, the SDX with lens will cost about as much as a DSR450 + HVX combo.

And with the DSR450+HVX combined, you get everything you're looking for, right?

So...

buy both?

Obvious! :thumbsup:
 
My only problem is . . . if I DO decide to buy the DSR450, will Jarred make a "Sony DSR450" category under the "SONY CAMERAS" section in "other cameras" JUST for ME? If not, where will I spend my sleepless nights on the internet thereafter? There's no such thing as "DSR450USER.com!" And I won't quite fit into that Aussie XDCAM forum. And the other online forums? Well . . .
 
Last edited:
That would be nice, Barry, but I'm really shopping on price here. After all, I expect the DSR450 to drop even more in price after all the XDCAM HD cameras start shipping in volume, and everybody starts to get excited about the XDCAM HD cameras. Using your logic, who's going to want those crummy ole' 4:1:1, standard-def cameras anyway after they've been wowed by all the shiny new HD cameras at this year's NAB? Hopefully some poor, unwanted B-stock 450s will make it on the truck after NAB.
 
What do you mean when you said that the F350 is slow? Are you referring to start up time? What about pic quality etc.?
 
Rextilleon said:
What do you mean when you said that the F350 is slow? Are you referring to start up time? What about pic quality etc.?
When you say a camera is "slow" it means that it doesn't do well in low light (e.g., its CCDs are not as "sensitive"). I think this goes back to ASA film speed ratings. The higher the ASA number (ISO, these days), the "faster" the film, and the more it can "see" in low light.

As far as picture quality, well . . . I've only played with a DSR450 for a few minutes. This was at a premiere, outside, in the late afternoon. The British news channel ITN just bought DSR450s, and that's the one I played with for two seconds. I couldn't really tell anything by that little built-in LCD, and we didn't have a color monitor handy or anything at the premiere. But with that big fat 2/3" CCD, I'm sure it looks pretty good. The 24P/48th should look exactly the same as all other 24P cameras. It's just that NO ONE I know has this camera for me to test (or rent), so I'll probably have to buy it sight-unseen!
 
Last edited:
Within a month or so here at work we will be getting the 450 and I cant wait to go shoot with it. I will let everyone know how that comes out.
 
bilgami said:
Within a month or so here at work we will be getting the 450 and I cant wait to go shoot with it. I will let everyone know how that comes out.
That's GREAT! That means that soon, there'll be a whopping TWO guys hoping for Jarred to create a seperate Sony DSR450 forum! Look forward to hearing about and seeing your footage from the DSR450!
 
Id love to post comments and shots on here of course ill need help on getting screen shots on here cuz ive never done that. I started working here in Jan. and my boss told me the 450 should be here by May and Ive counting down the days since then.
 
NBCshooter said:
That would be nice, Barry, but I'm really shopping on price here. After all, I expect the DSR450 to drop even more in price after all the XDCAM HD cameras start shipping in volume . . .
Well, whaddya know? Sony's now offering a $3,000 CASH REBATE on the DSR450 kit (valid April 1 through September 30, 2006). So if you buy the DSR450 w/Fuji 20:1 "kit" that INCLUDES two V-mount bricks, a two-position charger, and a Sony soft bag for $14,999 from B+H, Sony sends you back $3,000, making the effective price of the kit only $11,999! I think this clinches it! Only $12K for a 2/3" CCD, 24P, 16:9, F/11, 65dB SNR camera with lens, bricks, charger, and a bag--that's just too tempting to pass up! As soon as NAB is over, it's a done deal! Jarred--how about that Sony DSR450 camera thread???
 
Last edited:
Hey NBC, as i posted before, i think you have the SD syndrome..
This SD obsession it seems to me a typical childish obsession -- genre I'm the smartest one.. And I will do SD when all are shooting 720p. No! Better yet: when all are shooting 1080p.. And I am the smartest shooter..
 
Hey NBCshooter,

Do you know where I could go to actually look at DSR450 footage. Even at $12,000, I like to see what I am getting before I buy it.
 
Back
Top