drugs in film

Re: drugs in film

I read somewhere that that's what they use for coke on big budget films, or that it was a harmless... or something... I know I heard something about that somewhere. That's a lot of help, huh? Anyway, I think vitamin E would be harmless just highly unpleasant. Poor girl. Love your actors, directors.
 
Re: drugs in film

I don't know about snorting vitamin E but I love chocolate ;D.

The movie Blow seemed to glorify the drug. Demme, rest in peace, died because of it. Cardiac arrest- yeah right. Your heart stops if you are playing hard basketball on a lot of coke. It is not a superstrength balloon. It will pop.
 
Re: drugs in film

I tried snorting coke once but I didn't care for it. The bottle got stuck in my nose. ;D

Sorry, that's a terrible joke, but I couldn't resist.
 
Re: drugs in film

Has anybody seen the "Dinner For Five" first season dvd? There's a deleted scene where one of the guests ( won't tell who ) is smoking a joint on the table, and trying to pass it around. She clearly says something like: "it's just pot".
And then Jon Favreau jokes saying that this scene would make a great IFC clip, something like that.
I'm serious!
And if you watch the show, the girls does look high.
 
Re: drugs in film

I'm pretty sure this safely falls under the category of "it's illegal, but would you get caught?"

Therefore, it becomes unrecommended, but not impossible....
 
Re: drugs in film

I'm an attorney, here for artsy film reasons but this is the 5th law related post I've made just this morning! Can't a guy have a little fun without always having to do law??

Anyway, the answer to this question is not as simple as any of the answers above. I'm reluctant to get too specific, but basically you *can* film illegal condict without yourself committing a crime.

You asked about shooting someone who is doing real cocaine. Documentary makers do this on occassion, but you have to make sure that you never ever "control" the cocaine, whether by handling it, or even by telling someone else what to do with it. The latter could be considered "constructive possession" which is the same as physical possession of the drug.

Once the scene is shot, the cocaine should go bye bye immediately -- and not up your sniffer or into your pocket.

Once that's done there is no problem at all. You can have the film ,edit it, show it, whatever, and you are not committing any crime, nor could a prosecuter try and charge you based only on the fact that you filmed the scene. (If they had additional info, like you provided the cocaine, then thy could go after you, and use the film as circumstantial evidence.)

Hope that helps.
/Scantron
 
Re: drugs in film

[quote author=scantron link=board=MesPhotos;num=1095984299;start=45#46 date=01/22/05 at 07:16:52]I'm an attorney, here for artsy film reasons but this is the 5th law related post I've made just this morning! Can't a guy have a little fun without always having to do law??[/quote]

He can if he chooses to to . . . ::)
 
Re: drugs in film

what about if it was a step by step instructional guide on how to grow and take care of psilocybin mushrooms as an example? what would the law say about that?
 
Re: drugs in film

David Jimerson, I think you have heightened ideals about the police force.

If you're simply playing devils advocate and saying someone COULD probably prove drug use was real vs fake, then I'll agree with you. If you're saying its at ALL likely, even .00001% that someone might actually do it, I have to agree.

I've been robbed about a half a dozen times and the cops only even saw fit to take fingerprints TWICE. And the second time its because I made him, the cop didn't even want to, he was bored and wanted to leave.

So trust me, cops don't give a ****. The only reason drug users get busted at ALL is either because complaints are made (IE: next door neighbors have a meth lab) or they've already busted them on a traffic stop and want to pull a power trip.

FYI I've never done any drugs whatsoever and have no desire to, but this is my opinion based on friends accounts and my own experiences.
 
Re: drugs in film

It was a statement about what a motivated prosecutor could do. Indeed, I have seen many of just that type. Some of my closest friends, in fact.

Which is why it’s stupid to assume there’s no risk in doing/preparing illegal drugs on film/tape/whatever.
 
Re: drugs in film

I would say it depends on the amount of drugs in the shoot.

If its a line of a white substance on a mirror in one shot, I have a hard time believing anyone could care enough to look into it.

If someone popped a trunk and saw 15 pounds of white bags and someone with a keen eye realized it wasn't baking powder, then I could see it.

For joints, or marijuana, I simply can't believe theres anyone out there who cares enough to investigate.
 
Re: drugs in film

ok, I think maybe it is time to lock this thread for good. it has no further purpose or use. Thanks guys for the input.
 
Back
Top