downloading from card

Geesbert

Member
Does it make any difference whether I download only the 'stream' folder or whether I take the whole AVDHC folder to my computer?

Stefan
 
Copy the entire card onto a folder with a name describing the footage.

This is the safest way. And whenever you copy a card for someone else do the same thing.

There are ways of rewrapping just the .mts files, but it is more trouble, and requires special sw for some operating systems.
 
that's what I always did, but with mountain lion a AVCHD package is made, which is rather annoying. what's to loose when I only safe the stream folder?
 
I think STREAM is too low; there's a lot of meta-data you're skipping that way. I think you'll have trouble stitching long clips without introducing an audio break if you don't take all the meta-data.

Personally I take the whole "PRIVATE" folder. There's little reason not to, as the overhead is virtually zero, and there may be meta-data in there that could be helpful one day. I rename "PRIVATE" to something relevant -- e.g. "Aug 12 a" -- and put it in my project folder. Seems to work. I use Premiere, and when I import "Aug 12 a", I get all the clips. (There are warnings about unsupported file types which I just ignore.)
 
Best advice ever received on another thread... Always lock the SD card before inserting it in a Mac - keeps the files intact without allowing any changes by Mac.
 
Best advice ever received on another thread... Always lock the SD card before inserting it in a Mac - keeps the files intact without allowing any changes by Mac.
I understand that this is a good thing in theory, but does it actually make any sort of difference?
 
I understand that this is a good thing in theory, but does it actually make any sort of difference?

Yes. A card on which the file structure was changed from 'Private' to a folder named 'AVCHD' became unreadable. I'll never put a SD card in my mac again without the tab locked.
 
Back
Top