do you change the Gammas according to the contrast situation?

Hi all, i was just wondering if anybody of you keeps changing the Gammas from lets say CINE4 in high contrast shots to CINE2 in low contrast scenes? Will the reduced noise amount be noticeable in a low light environment?

thanks

Stefan
 
yes, I do. I routinely shift depending on lighting conditions. For very bright scenes with few significant shadows, I shoot Cine4. For dimly lit scenes, where I want detail in the shadows, I use Cine1
 
Cine2 has the particular characteristic that is does not shoot above 235 nor below 16 RGB. So, it differs from Cine1 only in this regard. I might be more inclined to wonder about Cine3, because, Cine3 is a subset of Cine4 but not as extreme. Noise issues can be controlled by the appropriate Black Level. If noise is apparent, I would suggest using a lower figure of Black Level.
 
could you explain what "shooting above 235 or below 16 RGB" means please? sorry, newbie on this one...

as I'm shooting as flat as i can to have more room to play in post, i guess i will have to live with a bit more noise?

i will look a bit into cine 1 and cine 4 when i have time...
 
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but basically that's referring to broadcast safe. Cine 2 is broadcast safe, so the whites don't go above 100% (235) or black below (16 vs 0), whereas the whites on Cine 3 and 4 go to 109. Unless you're shooting specifically for broadcast, you should avoid Cine 2 IMO; because for web (where most FS700 stuff is probably seen) it's nice to have the whites go to 109%.

This is a great article on Cinegammas and really helped me understand it better

http://provideocoalition.com/aadams/story/cameras_sony_fs700_dynamic_range_presentation/

For me, I'm torn. I love the highlights on Cine 4, but I love the shadow detail on Cine 1. I tend to use Cine 1 more because it has (at least to me) this vintage / old movie feel. It looks more nostalgic and I like that. But the highlights on Cine 4 is awesome.

According to the article, Cine 3 has the widest DR, but when I pixel peep, I just don't really like it. Cine 3 has great highlights, but I don't like the feeling (asethetic) of the blacks.
 
Thanks for your post gene, i just tested cine 1 for a while, looks ok so far, as you said, shadow detail looks good. looks like it would be pretty usable up to iso 6400 if needed.
for a bright environment, cine 4 obviously is the best gamma option.
 
Thanks for your post gene, i just tested cine 1 for a while, looks ok so far, as you said, shadow detail looks good. looks like it would be pretty usable up to iso 6400 if needed.
for a bright environment, cine 4 obviously is the best gamma option.

I guess it's what kind of look you like the best. Cine 4 does have the best highlights, but for some reason I just like the way Cine 1 looks even on bright days. It just has a feeling that I like.
 
Back
Top