dissecting your horrorfest short

Charli

cool little "title"
Kevin and I are going to go back and tear apart our flick after all of the voting
is in and accounted for, winners mentioned, etc. We thought we'd do a war
room assessment of what we were thinking while filming, what we would
have done differently, to see what our points of views are and how to
proceed from here.

Since we're not able to view anyone's shorts right now, I'm actually making notes
tonight while I have a moment. Might as well.

Anyone else going to take a second look at their shorts afterwards and make
notes?
 
Well, I'm not going to second guess myself until I've had a chance to see what others think. I know we had a good time, put in a lot of hard work and long hours and we're pleased with the results. Now I just hope other's like it, too.

After I've had a chance to look at the feedback, I'll see what I can take from it to help future projects. There's always things you wished you could have done better or done differently. I think we're usually our own worst critics.
 
I can't wait to get feedback. This is my first film. While I am proud of it, I know that I missed the boat on some things. Maybe many.

That is one reason I created this crib sheet, just hoping people get the idea that I desire feedback.

I will keep a copy of this film intact as it is "special" to me.

But I would like to improve it. I know that I could benefit from an extra minute of story-telling time!
 
When it's all said and done, I'll post a version of our movie with a commentary track. We'll most likely be ripping the hell out of it.:)
 
I'm looking forward to as much feedback as possible. I've already started working on a "Director's Cut" because I had to cut the movie down by a lot.

It's a blessing and a curse that I'm a stickler for details, and so I always am looking for ways to make things better. BUT, I'm not a perfectionist (being defined as never satisfied with the way things are).

I'm also looking forward to providing input to everyone else that entered their films. Good luck to everyone! Let's get this show on the road!
 
Well hopefully people will critque openly and not do the typical "that was cool".
I love detailed opinions but of course it takes a lot of time and there are a lot of movies to go through.
 
I have a whole list of revisions I'd like to make. It drives me nutz that I
could not fit them in before the deadline. It is what it is now:(
 
Im sure everything that will be mentioned about "Catherine" will be something i know of and wanted to change but didnt have enough time to before the 1st.
 
I'm really looking forward to the feedback. It will only make me a better filmmaker.

Though, and I'm sure many of us are in the same boat, I didn't plan this short for months and have a big budget. It was mostly on the fly with no budget. So reviewers, please be kind... to all of us.

Given a much longer project time and a budget I'm positive I would have made a very different short. But no excuses, let me have it!
 
being my first film, I would LOVE the feedback.

as far as taking a second look at my own film...I've taken hundreds of looks. I have a very good idea of what I did wrong, across many areas. I started making a list, but it got depressing ;-)

I know the major areas I want to work on for my next film though, and I'm looking forward to it.
 
Great thread topic! I just gave it "five stars!"

.
.
"RUNWAY"
______________a film by ralph oshiro
______________. . . where do you go when you have nowhere to run?
.

DISSECTING "RUNWAY"

Near-term goal:

1. Once the submitted version was in, me and my writing partner (the soundman at work) started thinking of "polishing" touches to original idea, and plan to reshoot some scenes to include these "final touches."
2. Look forward to auditing all DVXUSER members' feedback as how to better tailor the product to audience expectations and wants.
3. Running time may increase, but not by more than a couple minutes or so for this "polished" version.
4. Basically, we plan to leave the film largely intact, but "finish" all other post production loose ends as well (better sound design, foley, etc.).
5. This contest gave me a great "deadline" to work under (without which I would've never shot anything), and I'm happy with what I've submitted.
6. But, now, I'll have the opportunity to really fine tune the final, "final cut," and, when finished, it will be ready to prepare for exhibition on other venues, and for DVD handouts to give to other industry people.

Big-picture goal:

1. Rewrite, reshoot as necessary to expand project to much longer-format product, basically changing the main storyline to fit a longer-form product. Not necesssarily feature-length, but we're also not putting any limits on our writing level at this point.
2. Basically, finishing the DVXUSER HorrorFest short gave me and my writing partner a springboard for further idea-crafting. I had never written with him before, and it's been a great discovery process--we both think and write very cinematically, and we often both share similar visions.
 
I'm looking forward to some heavy dissection of my film by others so I can take that feedback and use it to improve the film with reshots or reedits or whatever
 
Rezfactor said:
DISSECTING "RUNWAY"

Near-term goal:

1. Once the submitted version was in, me and my writing partner (the soundman at work) started thinking of "polishing" touches to original idea, and plan to reshoot some scenes to include these "final touches."
2. Look forward to auditing all DVXUSER members' feedback as how to better tailor the product to audience expectations and wants.
3. Running time may increase, but not by more than a couple minutes or so for this "polished" version.
4. Basically, we plan to leave the film largely intact, but "finish" all other post production loose ends as well (better sound design, foley, etc.).
5. This contest gave me a great "deadline" to work under (without which I would've never shot anything), and I'm happy with what I've submitted.
6. But, now, I'll have the opportunity to really fine tune the final, "final cut," and, when finished, it will be ready to prepare for exhibition on other venues, and for DVD handouts to give to other industry people.

Big-picture goal:

1. Rewrite, reshoot as necessary to expand project to much longer-format product, basically changing the main storyline to fit a longer-form product. Not necesssarily feature-length, but we're also not putting any limits on our writing level at this point.
2. Basically, finishing the DVXUSER HorrorFest short gave me and my writing partner a springboard for further idea-crafting. I had never written with him before, and it's been a great discovery process--we both think and write very cinematically, and we often both share similar visions.
Or maybe I'll just do something else, completely different!
 
I think its a good idea to reflect on your own work, but not right away. I get far too close to a project to be THAT objective about it. Normally when I watch it again 6 months later the omissions are glaring. But I need that gap/space.

Unfortunately as a filmmaker you never get to see your short as a 'fresh'. Many years have to pass by before that can happen, maybe it never will.

I think the best advice comes from others, but of course others in your target market. Somneones favourite horror film might be 'don't look now', someone elses the amityville remake. So you have to be careful who's advice to take, but always listen.
 
Back
Top